A personal licence is granted to an individual and authorises that individual to supply alcohol, or authorise the supply of alcohol, in accordance with a premises license.

Apply for a personal licence

If you normally live within the Sheffield boundary you must make an application for a personal license to us.

The fee for a personal licence application is £37. Please contact us to pay for your application fee via card. We no longer accept cash or cheque payments.

We are currently unable to accept electronic application forms from gov.uk. Please apply using the personal licence application form and submit it alongside the disclosure of convictions and civil penalties declaration form.


Further information about personal licences

Criminal convictions

There are a number of relevant offences under the Licensing Act 2003 for Personal Licenses. If you have been convicted of any of these offences, you must declare them as part of the application.

If you have been convicted of a relevant offence that is not yet spent, we need to consult South Yorkshire Police. This will increase the time it takes to determine your licence application.


Once you have submitted your application form and supporting documents to us, we are able to issue your personal licence straight away (unless you have been convicted of one or more relevant offences).

We receive a lot of personal licence applications and we process them in the order that we receive them.

Time your licence is valid for

Personal licences now remain in force indefinitely unless surrendered, suspended, revoked or declared forfeit by the courts.

Licence’s appearance

A personal licence is in 2 parts; a paper part and a card.

Both parts of the licence show the holder's name and address and the name of the licensing authority that granted it.

The paper part also contains a record of any relevant offences of which the holder has been convicted, the date of the conviction and the sentence imposed in respect of it.

If changes to the licence are needed, both parts of the license must be returned to us to be amended.

Convictions after grant or renewal

If you are convicted of a relevant offence after your licence has been granted, either you must notify the court that you are a personal licence holder and either produce your licence to the court or provide an explanation as to why you are unable to do so.

Change your licence

As a  personal licence holder, you have a duty to notify us of any changes to your circumstances.

You must notify us of a change to your name and address as soon as possible. Failure to do so constitutes an offence which is punishable by a maximum fine of £2500.

The fee for a change of name or address is £10.50 and you must return both parts of your licence for amendment.

Lost or stolen licences

Where a personal licence is lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed, the holder may apply to us for a copy of the licence. The fee is £10.50.

If your licence has been lost or stolen, you must report the loss or theft to the police and provide us with an officer number or crime number to show you have reported it.

We are part of the European network for delivering information relating to doing business in the European Economic Area.

For full information on the EU Services Directive and Points of Single Contact for other member states, visit the European Commission website.