Anti-social behaviour and community safety

We believe that everybody should feel safe and secure and not suffer from anti-social behaviour, nuisance or harassment.

Anti-social behaviour is behaviour that causes nuisance, annoyance, or harassment, alarm or distress. This can include (but is not limited to) verbal abuse, threats, vandalism and damage, noise nuisance, harassment and intimidation. 

If you are suffering from anti-social behaviour please get in touch with us, we may be able to help.

How to report anti-social behaviour

You can report what is happening to the Anti Social Behaviour Team using the 'Ask us a question' link on this page.

Council Housing

If you are a council tenant or leaseholder or your complaint is about a tenant or leaseholder, you can make a report:

South Yorkshire Police

If you are the victim of crime, please report this to the Police. Contact can be made anonymously using Crimestoppers by calling 0800 555 111 or via South Yorkshire Police 101 (999 for an emergency situation) or through their online reporting system.

How we tackle anti-social behaviour

We work with others, for example the Police to deal with anti-social behaviour and nuisance cases quickly and effectively, and to provide a high level of support to victims and witnesses.

If we can resolve a situation without legal action we will. In some situations, legal enforcement may be necessary.

We can tackle anti-social behaviour through:

  • Acceptable Behaviour Contracts (ABCs) - agreements made between an individual, police and local authority to make the individual's anti-social behaviour stop
  • Community Protection Notices (CPNs) - these can be issued to anyone aged sixteen or over, or a business that is committing anti social behaviour. It can include requirements to stop things, do things or take reasonable steps to avoid further anti-social behaviour
  • injunctions and possession proceedings, which are legal options we can take to put a stop to anti-social behaviour
  • low level interventions, where we can give advice or warnings to people who are causing nuisance or anti-social behaviour
  • closure power, where can apply to Court to close a property for a period of time, in serious circumstances
  • supporting you to resolve the issues yourself through self resolution actions, for example talking to the person responsible

Our approach and procedure for dealing with reports of anti-social behaviour is below.

ASB Case Review for anti-social behaviour in Sheffield

If you have reported anti-social behaviour and you are concerned that not enough is being done, you can raise an Anti-Social Behaviour Case Review (ASB Case Review), previously known as a ‘Community Trigger’.

The ASB Case Review gives you, or someone acting on your behalf, the right to request a review of your case by ourselves, the Police and any other relevant organisations. The review will focus on working together to find a solution.

ASB Case Reviews received in Sheffield

We are required to publish the following information about ASB Case Reviews each year. The information below relates to the period from 1 April 2023 to 31 March 2024:

  • the number of ASB Case Reviews received in Sheffield was 36
  • the number of times we decided that the threshold for a review was not met was 8
  • the number of ASB Case Reviews we carried out was 28
  • the number of ASB Case Reviews carried out that have resulted in recommendations being made was 28

We aim to make recommendations in all cases, regardless of whether or not the review concludes that the organisations involved should have done more to investigate and resolve the problem.

Making a complaint about your case

The ASB Case Review does not replace our complaints procedure. If you are unhappy about the way we have dealt with your case, you can contact us and make a complaint.

If your complaint is about another organisation, such as the Police or your landlord, you should contact them for details about how to complain.

Contact the Anti Social Behaviour Team

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?