Apply for Housing Benefit

Changes to our IT systems may cause delays in processing changes to housing benefit claims, discretionary housing payments, requests for Council Tax support and council tax hardship scheme awards.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you.

If you’re on a low income you can apply for Housing Benefit to help you pay for part or all of your rent.

You can apply for Housing Benefit whether you’re unemployed or working, and whether you rent from the private sector, a Housing Association or our Council housing.

Universal Credit

From November 2018 if you need to start a new Housing Benefit claim you may have to claim Universal Credit.

How much you could receive

There’s no set amount of Housing Benefit. What you receive will be affected by:

  • if you are a private tenant. What you get will depend on whether you are restricted by the Local Housing Allowance
  • if you rent from us. Following the under-occupancy rule (or bedroom tax), you will receive less support if you have empty bedrooms in your house or flat
Urgent payment

If your claim hasn’t been processed yet and you need payment urgently because you’re facing eviction you must contact us as soon as possible.

You will need to send or bring in a copy of any information you’ve received about eviction proceedings. Once we have the evidence we need, we’ll arrange to pay your Housing Benefit as soon as we can.

Receiving payment

You should claim as soon as you can. We can usually pay Housing Benefit from the Monday after the day we receive your claim form. We can only backdate your benefit for up to one month from when you make your claim.

If you live in our Council housing, we’ll pay Housing Benefit directly into your rent account. You won’t receive the money.

If you’re a private tenant, we’ll usually pay Housing Benefit into your bank or building society account, although we may decide that it’s in your best interests to pay your Housing Benefit directly to your landlord.

Applying for Housing Benefit if you’re claiming other benefits

If you’re claiming Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support or Jobseeker’s Allowance, contact Jobcentre Plus to claim Housing Benefit too. Jobcentre Plus will send us details of your claim for Housing Benefit.

If you’re claiming Universal Credit, you can get help paying for housing with your Universal Credit payment instead of getting Housing Benefit.

If you’re claiming Pension Credit, contact the Pension Service to claim Housing Benefit with your claim for Pension Credit. The Pension Service will send us details of your claim for Housing Benefit.

Apply for Housing Benefit if you’re not claiming other benefits

If you’re not claiming other benefits, you can apply online for Housing Benefit.

Once you've applied, we’ll let you know what information we need from you to support your claim. This may include information like your National Insurance Number, your birth certificate or driving licence, and evidence that you pay the rent, like your rent book or tenancy agreement.

You should provide this information as soon as you can so we can deal with your claim as quickly as possible. When you provide evidence please bare in mind the following:

  • we can only accept original documents as proof. We can’t accept photocopies
  • you can bring the documents we need to First Point or any Area Housing Office
  • if you supply the proofs in person we’ll photocopy them and give you the originals back. We’ll also give you a receipt. You should ask to see the photocopies and make sure that you’re satisfied that the copies are clear and legible
  • if we need more evidence, we’ll write to you as soon as possible to let you know

Contact the Benefits team

0114 273 6777
Monday to Friday
8:30am to 5:30pm
PO Box 1310

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?