Premises licence

To carry out licensable activities from your premises you will need to apply for a premises licence.

What activities need a licence

Licensable activities are:

  • the retail sale of alcohol
  • the provision of regulated entertainment
  • the provision of late night refreshment (hot food and drinks between 11pm to 5am)

When you apply, you must specify which activities you want to hold at your premises and the days and times they will take place.

Club premises certificates

If you want to apply for a club premises certificate for a voluntary or social club you can do so on our dedicated page.

Who can apply for a premises licence

Any person (aged 18 or over) with a business which involves licensable activities needs to apply for a premises licence. You can apply for a permanent or time limited licence.

An applicant can be:

  • an individual
  • a business 
  • a partnership
  • a charity
  • a hospital
  • a school

What counts as a premises

Premises can be any place, indoors our outside, including:

  • a building
  • a moveable structure
  • an open space
  • a vehicle or vessel

If the premises have not yet been constructed or are due to undergo major refurbishment then an application for a provisional statement is required.

How long a premises licence lasts

Permanent premises licences remain in force until they are surrendered by the holder or revoked following a review of the licence.

Time limited licences will lapse at the end of the specified period, after which you will need to either renew it or apply for a new licence.

A premises licence can also lapse if the holder of the licence:

  • dies
  • becomes mentally incapable
  • becomes insolvent or until the business dissolves

You must contact us immediately if any of these situations occur. We will advise you how to apply for an interim authority notice.


To apply for a premises licence you will need to pay an application fee. You may also need to pay an additional person capacity fee for large venues with a capacity of over 5,000 people.

If you currently hold a licence you will need to pay an annual fee to keep your licence.

Application fee

The application fee is a one-off payment you need to make with your application. It will be determined by the rateable value band your property is in. These fees are:

Rateable value band Application fee
A £100
B £190
C £315
D £450
E £635

Application fee for selling alcohol

Where the premises fall within Band D or E and are used exclusively or primarily for the selling of alcohol you must pay a higher fee.

Rateable value band Application fee
D x 2 £900
E x 2 £1,905
Rateable value bands

The value of your property will tell you what band you are in and how much your application fee will be. If the premises are in the course of construction, they will fall into Band C. If your club premises have no rateable value then you will fall into band A.

The fee bands are:

Rateable value Band
No rateable value to £4,300 A
£4,301 to £33,000 B
£33,001 to £87,000 C
£87,001 to £125,000 D
£125,001 and above E

Additional person capacity fee

If your premises can hold more than 5,000 people you will be required to pay an additional fee:

Premises capacity Additional fee
5,000 to 9,999 £1,000
10,000 to 14,999 £2,000
15,000 to 19,999 £4,000
20,000 to 29,999 £8,000
30,000 to 39,999 £16,000
40,000 to 49,999 £24,000
50,000 to 59,999 £32,000
60,000 to 69,999 £40,000
70,000 to 79,999 £48,000
80,000 to 89,999 £56,000
90,000 and over £64,000

Annual premises licence fees

An annual fee is payable to us each year on the anniversary of the date the licence was first granted.

Exemption from fees

No application fee or annual fee is required if a premises provides regulated entertainment only and on behalf of:

  • an Educational Institution (a school or college) for and on behalf of the purposes of the educational institution or
  • a church hall, chapel hall or other similar building or a village hall, parish hall or community hall or other similar building

How we decide to grant your licence

The law provides a clear focus on promoting the four statutory licensing objectives. These are:

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm

Your application must show us and the other responsible authorities how you will meet these objectives.

Designated premises supervisor

Premises licences that authorise the sale of alcohol must specify a personal licence holder as the designated premises supervisor (DPS).

The DPS is the person named on the premises licence who is responsible for authorising the sale or supply of alcohol at the premises and will normally be the person responsible for the day to day running of the premises. 

Community premises may apply to operate without a DPS.

What you need to provide with your application

We recommend that you read the government's premises licence guidance before applying.

We also advise you to find legal advice prior to applying for a licence to ensure you are fully aware of the correct procedure.

You will be required to submit the following:

1. A completed application form (and privacy statement if applying by post)

This is a prescribed form which details how you want to operate your premises. It will show: 

  • the licensable activities to be carried out
  • the proposed hours that the relevant licensable activities are to take place
  • the name and address of the Designated Premises Supervisor if the licensable activities include the retail sale of alcohol
  • where alcohol is to be supplied, whether supplies are for consumption on and/or off the premises
  • a statement of the steps the applicant proposes to take to promote the licensing objectives
  • if the licence is for a limited period, how long that period is
  • any other required information

2. A plan of the premises

Applications should be submitted with a plan of the premises which must be in a specific format.

How to produce a premises plan

The plan shall be drawn in standard scale (1:100) unless you have agreed with us in writing beforehand to use an alternative scale.

The plan must show:

  • the extent of the boundary of the building, if relevant, and any external and internal walls of the building and, if different, the perimeter of the premises
  • the location of points of access to the premises
  • the location of escape routes from the premises (if different from other access points)
  • in a case where the premises is used for more than one existing licensable activity, the area within the premises that will be used for each activity
  • in a case where an existing licensable activity relates to the supply of alcohol, the location or locations on the premises which are used for consumption of alcohol 
  • fixed structures (including furniture) or similar objects temporarily in a fixed location (but not furniture) which may impact on the ability of individuals on the premises to use exits or escape routes without impediment
  • if there is a stage or raised area, the location and height of each stage or area relative to the floor
  • the location of steps, stairs, elevators or lifts if there are any
  • the location of any rooms containing public conveniences if there are any
  • the location and type of any fire safety and any other safety equipment
  • the location of a kitchen, if any, on the premises

The plan may include a legend through which the matters mentioned or referred to above are sufficiently illustrated by the use of symbols.

3. Consent of the designated premises supervisor

If you are proposing to sell alcohol from the premises a form of consent must be signed by the designated premises supervisor for the premises and submitted with the application. A designated premises supervisor must be a personal licence holder.

4. Right to work documentation

If the applicant you are an individual, you need proof you have the right to work in this country. This must be supplied with the application or the 9-digit ‘share code’ for the Home Office online right to work checking service.

5. Confirmation of advertisement of your application

You are required to advertise your application in two ways:

  • in a local newspaper
  • display a notice on the premises

You should submit confirmation of the newspaper submission with your application and a copy of the newspaper notice as soon as possible.

How to advertise your application

There are specific guidelines your advertisements must follow.

Advertising in a local newspaper

You should publish a notice in a local newspaper on least one day within 10 working days of submitting which your application to us.

You advertisement must contain:

  • the name of the applicant
  • the postal address of the premises. If it doesn't have one then a description of the premises that makes clear their location and size
  • a statement of the relevant licensable activities which you are proposing to carry out
  • the postal address and, where applicable, the web address where our licensing register is kept, and where and when the record of the application may be inspected
  • the date by which any interested party or responsible authority may make representations (objections)
  • explain that any representations need to be made in writing to us
  • explain that it is an offence to knowingly or recklessly make a false statement in connection with an application and what the maximum fine is for conviction of this offence

Displaying a notice on your premises

You should display a notice at the premises for a period of no less than 28 consecutive days, starting the day after your application was given to us.

Your notice must be:

  • A4 or larger than A4 
  • a pale blue colour
  • printed legibly in black ink or typed in black in a font size of 16 or larger

It must be displayed prominently at or on the premises so that it can be easily read from the outside. If the premises covers an area of more than 50 metres square, a further notice in the same form and subject to the same requirements, must be placed every fifty metres along any external perimeter of the premises that opens onto a highway or street.

6. Confirmation that you have served your application to the responsible authorities

If you are applying online this will be done automatically.

If you have not applied online, you must provide a copy of the full application and documents to all responsible authorities.

What happens once you have made an application

On the day after an application is received, a 28 day consultation period begins allowing comments or 'representations' to be made about the application by the responsible authorities and any local residents or ‘interested parties’. During this time, the responsible authorities will work with you to ensure your proposals are in line with the four licensing objectives.

If no comments are received during this period, the application will be deemed granted after the last date for representations and your licence will be issued and sent to you.

If relevant representations are received within the 28 day consultation period a public hearing must be held to determine your application. You will be notified in writing telling you when the hearing will be, who has made a representation and what that representation is.

The public hearing will be held within 20 working days after the last date for representation. The hearing date may be extended if we consider it is in the public interest to do so.

When you make an application, the details of the application will be published on our website and the information on any licence granted will be included in a public register.

Tacit consent will apply

This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from within 20 working days after the last date of representations.

Apply online for a new premises licence or change details of your current licence

You can apply online for a new licence or to change the name or address on your current licence.

How to make an appeal or a complaint

If you want to appeal our decision you should contact us.

Any applicant, responsible authority or person making representation is able to appeal our decision to a Magistrate’s Court within 21 days of the notice of decision.

Members of the public who are experiencing problems with licensed premises should contact us for advice.

EUGO logo. Text reads "In partnership with EUGO"

Contact the Licensing Team

0114 273 4264
Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm
Block C
Staniforth Road Depot
S9 3HD

Want to talk to someone right now?