The City Mace

The Mace was presented to the city by His Grace the Duke of Norfolk to commemorate him being the first Lord Mayor of Sheffield. It is made entirely of hand-beaten silver and is 103cm long.

A mace represents the Royal Authority vested in the Lord Mayor and is carried at public occasions. The earliest maces were borne by Royal Sergeants at Arms and were actually weapons.

The mace was made in the Stamford Bridge Studios in London, but as it is the work of 2 young artist craftsmen, born and educated in Sheffield, it consequently carries the Sheffield Assay Mark.

Head of the Mace

The head of the mace is in the form of the Royal crown with a pierced fleur de lys gallery, and surmounted by an orb and cross symbolising Christianity. Inside the head are the Royal Arms and inscribed at the base is the City motto, translated ‘with God’s help our labour is successful’.

Lord Mayor’s Chain

At the opening of the Paris Exhibition in 1855, the Mayor of Sheffield was refused a seat near the throne with the other Mayors because he didn’t have a badge of office. As a result, money was raised by public subscription and the chain was bought for £325 in 1856.

The Lord Mayor of Sheffield’s Chain of Office symbolises the industrial character of the City and is made in 18-carat gold, weighing 1,555 grams. The ribbon, 27 chain links long, also holds the City’s motto.

Coat of Arms

The city’s coat of arms is enamel, enclosed by a wreath of laurel. Thor (the Scandinavian God) and Vulcan (Greek and Roman God) stand either side, as our City’s Patron Gods.

Lady Mayoress’ Chain

The Chain was presented to the City by Alderman George Senior JP on 9 November 1901 as a symbol of office for the Lady Mayoress. It is made in 18-carat gold and weighs a total of 1,057 grams. Again the chain has 27 links, each engraved with the names of the past Lady Mayoresses.

The main part of the badge shows the Royal Arms and, suspended by a chain of finely wrought white roses of Yorkshire, the Arms of the City. On the base are 3 white diamonds and a heart-shaped piece engraved ‘Title of Lord Mayor conferred by Royal Grant 12th July 1897’.

Lord Mayor’s Badge

The Lord Mayor, Harry P Marsh (1907 to 1908) presented a badge to the Corporation with a wish that it be retained at the Town Hall for use by the Lord Mayor at semi-state functions. It was made by Messrs Mappin and Webb in 18-carat gold.

In the centre is the Sheffield City Arms in enamel and diamond setting, surrounded by a border of amethysts and white Brazilian topaz, surmounted by a visor and the lion rampant from the crest of the Duke of Norfolk. The city motto and coat of arms are included.

Lady Mayoress’ Badge

At a meeting of the Lord Mayor's Advisory Committee on 25 June 1929 it was reported that in a number of other towns, a badge was provided for the Lady Mayoress to wear on semi-official occasions.

It was resolved that a tender prepared by Messrs Mappin and Webb for the supply of a gold and enamel badge at a cost of £31 be accepted. The present Lady Mayoress’ Badge was purchased by the Corporation in 1976 following the loss of the original badge.

Lord Mayor’s Consort’s Badge

The Assay Office presented a Badge of Office to the city in May 2006 to be worn by the Lord Mayor’s Consort when attending Civic Engagements. Owen Waterhouse, Sheffield silversmith and designer, created the badge.

The badge features 12 18-carat gold arrows that intersect with the Sheffield Coat of Arms. The central form was hand-turned from sterling silver and the Coat of Arms was etched on. 

Lord Mayor's Office

Ask us a question

0114 2734025

Lord Mayor's Office
Town Hall
Pinstone Street
Sheffield

S1 2HH