The relevant results of all city, regional and national elections will be published here.
Elections 5 May 2022
The following elections and referenda took place on 5 May 2022:
- City council elections
- Mayor for the South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority
City council ward election results
Election results for councillors in city wards within Sheffield.
Firth Park local election 16 September 2021
Local elections for one councillor in Firth Park ward were held on Thursday 16 September 2021.
Neighbourhood Planning Referendum for the Dore Neighbourhood Plan Area
Residents of the Dore Neighbourhood Plan area were asked to vote Yes or No on the following question:
"Do you want Sheffield City Council and the Peak District National Park Authority to use the Neighbourhood Plan for Dore to help it decide planning applications in the neighbourhood area?"
- 1986 voted Yes
- 106 voted No
A total of 2,093 votes were cast. 1 vote was rejected for being unmarked or wholly void for uncertainty.
Elections 6 May 2021
The following elections and referenda took place on 6 May 2021:
- City and parish council elections
- Sheffield City Council Governance Referendum
- Police and Crime Commissioner
- Neighbourhood Referendum for Broomhill, Broomfield, Endcliffe, Summerfield and Tapton
City and parish council ward election results
Election results for councillors in city wards and in parish councils within Sheffield.
The city governance referendum was a vote on changing the model of council governance in Sheffield. Residents of the city were asked to vote on the question:
"‘How would you like Sheffield City Council to be run?’"
- 89,670 voted for the option "By one or more committees made up of elected councillors. This would be a change from how the council is run now."
- 48,727 voted for the option "By a leader who is an elected councillor chosen by a vote of other elected councillors. This is how the council is run now."
This means the way the Council will govern will change. The change is expected to be implemented in May 2022.
South Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner
Dr Alan Billings has been re-elected as Police and Crime Commissioner for South Yorkshire.
Neighbourhood Referendum for Broomhill, Broomfield, Endcliffe, Summerfield and Tapton
Residents of the Broomhill, Broomfield, Endcliffe, Summerfield and Tapton (BBEST) Neighbourhood area were asked to vote Yes or No on the following question:
"Do you want Sheffield City Council to use the Neighbourhood Plan for the Broomhill, Broomfield, Endcliffe, Summerfield and Tapton to help it decide planning applications in the neighbourhood area?"
- 2543 voted Yes
- 224 voted No
A total of 2,975 votes were cast. 208 votes were rejected:
- 11 rejections for voting for more than one answer
- 197 rejections for being unmarked or wholly void for uncertainty
General Election 12 December 2019
A Parliamentary election was held on Thursday 12 December 2019.
European Parliament election results 23 May 2019
Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) are elected on a regional basis and as such Sheffield does not itself elect MEPs, but its votes contribute to elections within the Yorkshire and Humber region.
Votes cast in Sheffield
Our electorate was 392, 895 from which the turnout was 35.9%. The votes case in the election were:
- Change UK / the Independent Party - 2,492
- Conservative and Unionist Party - 4,827
- English Democrats - 998
- Green Party - 34,803
- Labour Party - 23,925
- Liberal Democrats - 25,366
- The Brexit Party - 39,534
- The Yorkshire Party - 3,089
- UK Independence Party (UKIP) - 5,408
Rejected ballot papers
A total number of 571 ballot papers were rejected. The categories for a rejected ballot and the number of ballots that we rejected for that reason are:
- does not bear the official mark - 0
- voting for more than one party - 100
- writing or mark by which the voter can be identified - 20
- unmarked or void for uncertainy - 451
Local election 2 May 2019
Local elections for councillors in city wards were held on Thursday 2 May 2019.
Local election 4 May 2018
Local elections for councillors in city wards were held on Thursday 4 May 2018.
General Election 2017
A Parliamentary election was held on Thursday 8 June 2017.
City Council By-elections 2017
By-elections were held for 2 city council wards on Thursday 4 May 2017.
2016 election results
On 5 May 2016 we held local elections, two By-elections and the South Yorkshire Police and Crime Comissioner election.
Election results for councillors in city wards.
A By-election took place in the Sheffield Brightside and Hillsborough Constituency.
2016 Police and Crime Commissioner election
Elected: Alan Billings, Labour Party
South Yorkshire turnout: 29.48%
- David Allen, English Democrats, 19,144 votes
- Alan Billings, Labour Party, 144,978 votes
- Gavin Felton, United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP), 57,062 votes
- Joe Otten, Liberal Democrat, 28,060 votes
- Ian Walker, Conservative Party, 29,904 votes
EU referendum 2016
The referendum on whether the United Kingdom shoud remain in the European Union took place on Thursday 23 June 2016.
How Sheffield voted:
- vote to remain: 130,735 (49%)
- vote to leave: 136,018 (51%)
Total ballot papers counted: 266,951
2016 City Council By-election
A By-election was held for a Council seat in Mosborough ward.
2015 election results
On Thursday 7 May 2015 we had a General Election as well as City and Parish Council elections.
Local elections 7 May 2015
Local elections for Councillors in city wards and parish Councils.