Your housing options in Sheffield

Alternative housing options

Alternative housing options

As well as council housing in Sheffield, there are a number of other housing options that you could consider to increase your chance of finding a new home.

Rent your accommodation privately

This may be renting a property privately or through an agency. The city has a wide variety of private rented properties available. Renting privately can provide benefits to you such as:

  • no waiting lists
  • properties in areas where there is less availability of council properties
  • no restrictions on what size of property you can rent

There are benefits and grants that can be applied for to help afford rent and bonds in advance if you feel you may struggle to afford private rented.

Housing associations

Housing associations offer a range of housing in across the city, including family housing, flats and houses for single people, couples or sharers and housing designed for older people.

Their rents are set in line with government guidance. They usually offer an assured tenancy (similar to secure tenancies offered to council tenants).

There are two ways to apply for housing association properties:

Through the Housing Register

Register with the council’s housing register and bid for housing association properties through the Sheffield Property Shop the same way as you would do for council properties.

Through a housing association

Apply directly to a housing association. Some have their own application process and let their properties outside of the Property Shop process. There is more information on Housing associations.

Mutual exchanges

Mutual exchange are when two or more council or housing association tenants apply to swap their homes. You can exchange your property if you find someone to change with and met certain criteria. 

Part 4, section 92 of the 1985 Housing Act gives tenants the right to exchange. This means it is law and not our Allocations Policy.

Sheffield City Council tenants can swap with Housing Association properties and vice versa. It is a flexible route with relaxed eligibility, although all parties must have rent accounts that are currently clear and pass a property inspection.

Mutual exchanges do not need you to be on a waiting list and most are approved. Our Mutual exchanges page explains everything that is necessary to make one happen.

Help to rent privately: Private Rented Solutions

Our Private Rented Solutions (PRS) Scheme supports people to access safe and affordable homes in the private rented sector. 

PRS help with bond guarantee. It can offer other landlord incentives for a suitable private rented property in Sheffield.

For PRS to help you, you first need to:

  • find out how much rent you can afford
  • find a property that you are interested in
  • contact landlord and arrange a viewing if possible 
  • leave it with us to contact the landlord and we will get back to you

Afterwards, complete one of their forms and send it to or phone on 0114 2053112.

PRS will investigate whether you are in housing need and assess the property is suitable for you and your household.

If the property does not meet the suitability criteria, we will not be able to offer you a guarantee on that property and you will be asked to look again.

Contact Council Housing Service

0114 293 0000
Monday to Friday
8am to 5:30pm
Housing and Neighbourhood Service
PO Box 5967
S2 9GH

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?