Our winter service runs from 1 October to 30 April. During this time our team of 21 staff and 19 gritters are on standby 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We have 5 weather stations across Sheffield that provide us with up-to-the-minute weather forecasts, helping us to decide when we need to grit the city’s roads.
We have 2 priority categories:
- priority 1 routes – the main arterial routes which link Sheffield to other major cities and motorways
- priority 2 routes – other main routes, such as bus routes, link roads, roads where key public service facilities are located, and rural routes
We also grit and clear snow from our busiest pavements and pedestrianised areas, for example around the train station, hospitals and main retail areas. We do not grit any other pavements across the city.
Keep updated on the latest traffic camera images during snow events by following Streets Ahead on Twitter at: @sccstreetsahead
Snow clearing advice
We accept no liability for any injury caused to or by persons volunteering to clear snow or ice.
Grit salt bins
We have over 1,900 grit bins across the city, which are checked and filled at the start of each winter. Please let us know if a bin is empty, missing, damaged or if there is another problem with it.
Request for relocating an under-used grit bin
We would not usually consider grit bins within 200 metres of an existing grit bin, or a grit bin on any road that forms part of the priority 1 or 2 precautionary gritting routes.
If you would like to request a grit bin relocation then the site you are recommending would need to meet 2 or more of the following criteria:
- the road has a drainage problem
- the road has a steep gradient of 1 in 10 (10%)
- there is a bad bend that has a radius of less than 50 metres
- is on a junction
- the road has a main entrance to sheltered housing
- the road has a main entrance to a school
- is in an isolated area
- traffic signals are close (within 20m)
- a roundabout is close (within 20m)
If your location meets 2 or more of the criteria then please fill out our online form and ask us to relocate a grit bin. This will be assessed by the Streets Ahead team at the end of the winter season, with priority given to the highest scoring sites.