Report flooding on roads and blocked road drains

If you spot a flooded road or blocked drain please report it to us. 

It's normal for standing water to be visible in the drain and on its own this does not indicate a blockage.

How we prioritise fixing blocked drains

We prioritise issues based on the following:

  • type of blockage
  • frequency of flooding
  • type of road and amount of traffic

Flooding across a busy road takes priority over a residential street as it's likely to cause more disruption and danger to motorists and pedestrians.

Sewers and burst water mains

Contact your local water company to fix:

  • blocked sewers
  • burst water mains


Contact the Environment Agency on their website or by email to to report:

  • a blockage, for example a fallen tree
  • collapsed or badly damaged river or canal banks
  • unusual changes in river flow
  • flooding from a main river 

Call us on 0114 273 4567 to report flooding from other rivers, brooks or streams.


We have a limited number of sandbags that we can distribute during serious flooding. We prioritise what properties we send them to. Find out more on our request sandbags page. 

Contact Streets Ahead

Floor 2
Howden House
1 Union Street
S1 2SH

Want to talk to someone right now?