Due to the Covid-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak we are currently working to prioritise our services.
Over coming weeks this may mean stopping some works to ensure we can prioritise emergency, critical and key activities.
Streets Ahead is a huge city-wide highways maintenance contract that is upgrading and then maintaining the condition of our city’s roads, pavements, street lights, bridges and other items on or around our streets. It's the largest highway investment contract ever seen in Sheffield, worth £2bn.
This aim of this contract is to maintain and upgrade:
- road and pavements
- gritting and snow clearance
- bridge and other road-side structures
- roadside trees and verges
- traffic lights and road signs
- street lights
- road drainage
- street cleaning
- street furniture including nameplate, bollards, safety fences, barriers and benches
Streets Ahead works will only be carried out on adopted roads. Other roads (such as private roads, trunk roads and unadopted public highways) are not included.
To date Streets Ahead has:
- resurfaced over 1,691 miles of pavement
- replaced 3,432 drainage gullies
- installed over 66,802 new LED streetlights
- responded to 99,288 requests for street cleaning
- resurfaced over 855 miles of road
- repaired over 154,056 potholes
- made improvements to over 1,350 bridges and structures