Streets Ahead is a huge city-wide highways maintenance contract that is upgrading and then maintaining the condition of our city’s roads, pavements, street lights, bridges and other items on or around our streets. It's the largest highway investment contract ever seen in Sheffield, worth £2bn.
To date Streets Ahead has:
- resurfaced over 1,450 miles of pavement
- replaced 3,208 drainage gullies
- installed over 64,604 new LED streetlights
- responded to 76,121 requests for street cleaning
- resurfaced over 693 miles of road
- repaired over 145,703 potholes
- made improvements to over 1,035 bridges and structures
- upgrade work
- road and pavement maintenance
- gritting and snow clearance
- bridge and other road-side structures maintenance
- roadside trees
- verge maintenance
- traffic lights and road sign maintenance
- street lights maintenance
- road drainage maintenance
- street cleaning
- street furniture maintenance including nameplate, bollards, safety fences, barriers and benches
How will I know when Streets Ahead work will take place on my street?
Those of you directly affected by the Streets Ahead works will receive a letter advising you of the work arrangements before we start work on your street.
On-street signs will be in place approximately 5 days prior to work starting confirming the start date and duration of the works.
Please note our works can be affected by unforeseen circumstances and we advise residents to check the on-street signage for the most up to date information.
The team who plan our works liaise wtih utility companies to co-ordinate our works to minimise disruption on the local community. Prior to confirming any works, we consider:
- building developer works
- SuperTram maintenance
- third party works
- traffic management and safety work
- traffic signals work
- maintenance work needed on bridges and other structures