We can only investigate planning matters relating to:

  • carrying out development where no planning permission has been sought
  • carrying out development which deviates from that which has been granted planning permission
  • breach of conditions which were imposed under an existing planning permission
  • unauthorised display of advertisements
  • unauthorised works to a Listed Building
  • unauthorised works to a protected tree
  • unauthorised works in a Conservation area or a protected area such as greenbelt
  • unauthorised change of use
  • untidy land

What we do not investigate

Non-material planning considerations such as: 

  • loss of property value 
  • or loss of view

Complaints used to protect a private or commercial interest against another, such as:

  • boundary/land ownership disputes
  • internal alterations to houses (unless a listed building)
  • external security lights fixed to houses
  • high hedge dispute
  • opposition to business competition

Matters covered by other legislation such as:

  • noise complaints
  • improper use of the highway
  • building regulations such as dangerous structures;

If you have a complaint about our Planning Service, or our planning decision making process, please follow our corporate complaints process.

Contact Planning Helpline

Howden House 1 Union Street Sheffield S1 2SH