Decoration grants for your home

If you have recently moved into a new home or have had major work carried out to your existing council property, you could get help with your decorating costs.

Moving into a new home

When you take up a new tenancy, you’ll be given a B&Q electronic voucher card to buy decorating and cleaning products.

All B&Q discounts and promotions will apply to your purchases.

When you view your property, we will assess and confirm your allowance so you know from the start exactly what’s on offer.

You can collect the card when you sign your tenancy agreement.

Your B&Q card will expire within 12 months of you receiving it. Please make sure you use it within this time.

Decorating after major work or repairs

You can claim a decoration grant after repairs or major works to your home have been carried out by our contractors.

This could include upgrades and improvement work, rewiring, extensive re-plastering or fitting central heating systems.

Work like this can mean you may need to redecorate afterwards and we want to help you put this right as soon as possible.

We base the grant on how many rooms are affected. The living room, dining room, kitchen, hall/stairs/landing, bathroom and WC, and each bedroom are counted as rooms.

You won’t get a grant if the decorations are only slightly affected or if the contractor decorates the rooms as part of the work.

Apply for a grant

Complete the application form and submit it by email to You will need to tell us your property reference number on the form.

Once you have applied for a grant, we may visit your home to assess your claim and write to let you know if you have been awarded a grant and, if so, for how much.

Contact Council Housing Service

0114 293 0000
Monday to Friday
8am to 5:30pm
Housing and Neighbourhood Service
PO Box 5967
S2 9GH

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?