Change the designated premises supervisor on a premises licence

The designated premises supervisor (DPS) is the person named on the premises licence who is responsible for authorising the sale or supply of alcohol at the premises and will normally be the person responsible for the day to day running of the premises. The DPS must hold a personal licence.

If you want to change the DPS on the premises, you must apply to vary the DPS on your licence.

It is important that both we and the police are notified of this change as soon as possible. The new DPS must also consent to this change as part of the application.

Who can apply to change a designated premises supervisor

The current named premises licence holder, their nominated agent or solicitor can apply.

Community premises may apply to operate without a DPS.


The fee to change a designated premises supervisor is £23 and is payable on application. It is free to consent to become a DPS or to remove yourself as a DPS from a licence.

What you need to provide with your application

You need to submit the following:

1. A completed vary DPS application form (and privacy statement if applying by post)

The application form must be signed by the existing licence holder or their legal representatives.

2. Consent from the proposed DPS

A consent form signed by the proposed new DPS, consenting to carry out this role in the licensed premises.

3. Your original premises licence

Ensure that you send the original premises licence and summary with the application or, if that is not practical, a statement of the reasons for the failure to provide this.

4. Confirmation that you have served your application to South Yorkshire Police as the responsible authority

If you are applying online they will be served with your application automatically. If you are applying by post, you must provide a copy of the full application and documents to South Yorkshire Police on the same day.

5. Confirmation that you have served a notice of your application to the existing designated premises supervisor.

What happens once you have made an application

Once we receive your application, South Yorkshire Police have 14 days in which to consider it. They can either object to the appointment of the new DPS if they think it would undermine the crime prevention objection, or they can raise no objection to the application

The DPS will come into immediate interim effect if you have requested this on the application form, this is to ensure there is no interruption to normal business at the premises.

At the end of the consultation period if no representations have been made the licence will be granted and issued as soon as possible.

If representations are made a hearing will be held with our licensing committee to determine if the application is granted within 20 working days after the end of the consultation period.

Tacit consent will apply

This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted even if you have not heard from us by the end of the 34 day period.

Request to be removed as a DPS from a premises licence

For a variety of reasons, there may be circumstances when a DPS decides to leave a licensed premises and no longer wishes to authorise the sale or supply of alcohol.

In this instance the DPS must complete a notification to be removed as a DPS form as soon as possible. A copy of this must be submitted to both us and the licence holder, informing us that the DPS has left the premises and is no longer authorising the sale of alcohol.

Until the premises licence has been changed to specify a new DPS, any sale or supply of alcohol is illegal.

Apply to change a DPS or notify us of a request to remove yourself as a DPS

You can apply online to change the DPS on your premises licence or to remove yourself from a licence as a DPS.

Apply by post to change a DPS on a premises licence

If you are applying to change a DPS by post, you should pay online first and provide a reference of payment with your submitted application.


You can download and print any relevant forms and send them to us. You should also send a copy to:

South Yorkshire Police

Licensing Department

Moss Way Police Station, Moss Way


S20 7XX

Apply by post to or remove yourself as a DPS

You can download the relevant form and send it to us and any other required parties by post. 

How to make an appeal or a complaint

If you want to appeal a decision you should contact us.

Any applicant, responsible authority or person making representation is able to appeal our decision to a Magistrate’s Court within 21 days of the notice of decision.

Members of the public who are experiencing problems with licensed premises should contact us for advice.

EUGO logo. Text reads "In partnership with EUGO"

Contact the Licensing Team

0114 273 4264
Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm
Block C
Staniforth Road Depot
S9 3HD

Want to talk to someone right now?

Supporting information

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?