Notification of an interest

If you hold an interest in a licenced property then you can notify us of your interest in the property and we will inform you of any changes that are made to the licence.

It's not a legal requirement for you to tell us about your interest in the property.

Why apply for a notification of interest

If you tell us that you have an interest in a premises then we'll let you know if there are any changes made to the licence for that premises and will advise you when a licensing application is received that changes the statutory register of the property.

This includes changes to:

  • premises licences
  • club premises certificates
  • provisional statements
  • temporary event notices

You can see a full list of changes we can notify you of in Schedule 3 of the Licensing Act 2003.

Who can apply for a notification of interest

You can apply if you are:

  • the freeholder or the leaseholder
  • a legal mortgagee in respect of the premises
  • a person in occupation of the premises
  • any other person as prescribed by the Secretary of State

How long it lasts

The notice will last 12 months, after which you will need to apply for a new notice.


It costs £21 to apply.

What you need to provide with your application

You will need to submit a completed application form and the application fee.

What happens once you have made an application

Once we have received your notification, we will acknowledge this within 14 days.

While the notice has effect, if any change relating to the premises concerned has been made to the licensing register we will inform you of this and your right to request a copy of the information.

Tacit consent will apply

This means that you will be able to act as though your application has been granted if you have not heard from us within 14 days.

Apply for a notification of interest

You can apply and pay online.

Apply by post

Before you apply by post you should pay online first and provide a reference of payment with your submitted application.


You can then download and print any required forms and send them to us.

How to make an appeal or a complaint

If you want to appeal a decision you should contact us.

Members of the public who are experiencing problems with a licensed premises should contact us for advice.

Contact the Licensing Team

0114 273 4264
Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm
Block C
Staniforth Road Depot
S9 3HD

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?