Interim authority notice

If the holder of a premises licence dies unexpectedly, becomes mentally incapable or if a company becomes insolvent, their licence is no longer valid.

You can apply for an interim authority notice to allow your premises to continue to sell alcohol until you have either transferred the existing licence to a new owner or applied for a new premises licence.

Why you may need an interim authority notice

Your premises will no longer be able to sell alcohol if the holder of your premises licence is unable to continue holding it.

An interim authority notice allows you to continue trading as usual until you have obtained a licence transfer or a new licence.

You must apply for an interim notice within 28 consecutive days from the day after the holder's licence became invalid.

Who can apply for an interim authority notice

An interim notice may only be applied for by:

  • a person with a clear and prescribed interest in the premises
  • a person connected to the former holder of the licence (normally a personal representative of the former holder, a person with power of attorney or that person's insolvency practitioner)

How long it lasts

An interim authority notice lasts for a maximum of 3 months during which you need to apply to transfer the premises licence. The licence will expire if the transfer application not submitted in this time.


The fee for an interim authority notice is £23.

What you need to provide with your application

You need to submit the following:

  1. completed application (and privacy statement if applying by post)
  2. fee of £23
  3. Right to Work documentation
  4. confirmation that you have submitted the application to the existing designated premises supervisor
  5. confirmation that you have submitted the application to South Yorkshire Police
  6. confirmation that you have submitted the application to the Home Office

What happens once you have made an application

As soon as the interim authority notice is submitted to the licensing authority the business may continue to operate as before.

There is a 28 consultation period and the Chief Officer of Police may make an objection within this period if they believe there are exceptional circumstances relating to the interim authority notice that would undermine their crime prevention objective.

If an objection is received we will hold a hearing with the licensing committee, which you will be invited to attend.

If there are no objections, an interim licence will be issued to you.

Tacit consent will apply

This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the 28 day period.

Apply for an interim authority notice

You can apply and pay online.

Apply by post

Before you apply for an interim authority notice by post you should pay online first and provide a reference of payment with your submitted application.


You can then download and print any required forms and send them to us. You must also send copies of the completed forms and required documents to:

  • South Yorkshire Police, Licensing Department, Moss Way Police Station, Moss Way, Sheffield, S20 7XX
  • Home Office, Alcohol and Licensing team, Home Office, Lunar House, 40 Wellesley Road, Croydon CR9 2BY


How to make an appeal or a complaint

If you want to appeal a decision you should contact us in the first instance.

Members of the public who are experiencing problems with a licensed premises should contact us for advice.

Contact the Licensing Team

0114 273 4264
Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm
Block C
Staniforth Road Depot
S9 3HD

Want to talk to someone right now?