Household waste recycling centre permit

You will need a permit if you want to bring a van or trailer to a household waste recycling centre. Some types of van are not allowed to enter recycling centres.

Why you need a permit

Our five household waste recycling centres are for Sheffield households to dispose of waste from their own home. They are not for trade waste.

We operate a vehicle permit system to prevent the illegal disposal of trade waste on site.

If you are a resident of Sheffield and you want to visit a site with a van or a trailer, you will need either a permit or approval for a one-off visit. Luton box vans, pick ups (excluding 4x4s), long wheel based transit vans and twin axled vehicles are not allowed access to any of our sites.

Trade waste must be disposed of using a licensed facility meeting Duty of Care requirements. If you are carrying out renovation or construction work you should hire a skip.

Leaving trade waste at a household waste site is a criminal offence under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and could result in a £50,000 fine and/or two years imprisonment.

What type of permit you can apply for

You can apply for a yearly permit or a permit for a one-off visit.

Yearly permit

You can apply for a permit if the only vehicle in your household is a van or you wish to bring a trailer on site. You will need to nominate the site you wish to use, agree to our terms and conditions and provide copies of your vehicle registration document (V5) and a recent utility bill.

If your application is successful, you will receive a permit for 12 visits to your nominated site. Each household is entitled to a maximum of 12 visits per year.

One-off visit permit

If your van is not the only form of transport in your household or if you wish to visit a site with a van that is not registered to your address, you can apply for a one-off visit.

You will need to provide your name, address, vehicle details and waste type. One-off visits are provided for occasions such as house moves where you have more waste than you can fit in your car.

How long it takes

Your application for a yearly permit will take up to 10 working days to be processed. If you are applying for a one-off visit permit it will take 1 working day to process.

Lost permits

Contact us if you need to replace your permit. There is a charge of £10 for covering the cost of replacing your permit.

How to apply

To apply for either permit you should contact us.

Contact Waste Management

5th Floor (North)
Howden House
1 Union Street
S1 2SH

Want to talk to someone right now?