Commercial and business waste

Commercial outlets and businesses must:

  • have a legal contract with a registered waste company
  • be able to provide evidence of how they legally dispose of their waste

This must be a waste transfer note or waste contract from a waste company or a receipt from a waste and recycling site.

If it is a regular collection you may only need to do this once every year, your carrier should be able to advise and help you.

Waste disposal site licence

You need to make sure that where you send your waste is licensed by the Environment Agency to accept it. The carrier should be able to supply you with a copy of the licence.

Make sure you see the schedule to the licence which states what type of waste the site is licensed to take. This is your specific duty under the law, to make sure your waste goes to a site licensed to take it.

Waste carriers carry a certificate of registration from the Environment Agency. You, as the producer, should keep a copy of this.

There is a requirement to treat waste before it is landfilled. This is to reduce our reliance on landfills and ensure that any future landfilling has less impact on our health and the environment.

Contact Waste Management

5th Floor (North)
Howden House
1 Union Street
S1 2SH

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?