Apply to temporarily close a road

If you want to close a public road or highway you need our permission.

Who can apply for a temporary road closure

Anyone can request a road to be closed temporarily. Roadworks are the most common reason for closing a road for a set amount of time. Other reasons include street parties, events, building demolition and the use of heavy plant machinery.

How long you can close a road

The maximum duration for a road closure is 18 months.

How much it costs and how much notice you need to give

The cost and minimum notice period depends on the type of road closure. Road closures for events or street parties may not incur a charge and you should contact us to find out if there will be any costs.

Standard charges and submission periods are:

  • to close a road for more than 5 days your application should be submitted a minimum of 6 weeks before the planned start date to allow for statutory advertising in local newspapers. The cost to close a road for more than 5 days is £2,015
  • if you want to close it for less than 5 days your application needs to be submitted 4 weeks before the planned start date. It costs £822 to close a road for less than 5 days
  • in the case of an emergency or urgent road closure you can apply retrospectively as soon as is reasonably possible. The cost for this closure is £822

Road Closures for events or street parties may not incur a charge. Contact us on 0114 2736159 to find out if you will need to pay.

What you need to apply

You will need to submit:

  • a traffic management plan including the precise location of works and diversion route including road names
  • a proposed access arrangement for vulnerable road users like pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
  • The relevant fee for the closure

You need to make sure that:

  • planned works advance warning signs are erected 10 days prior to the works commencing
  • all traffic management complies with the safety at street works and road works code of practice issued by the Department of Transport

Please note that:

  • if a submitted application for a temporary traffic regulation has been processed and is subsequently cancelled by the applicant the fee is non-refundable
  • if you submit your application online make sure that a corresponding streetworks permit/notice/licence has been applied for. Failing to do this may result in a delay in processing your application
  • if you submit you application online, the permit / notice reference number must be completed on page 3 of the form in the space marked as works reference number

What happens after you've applied

We will review your application and any documentation submitted. If there are any issues, we will contact you for further information.

Your application will only be considered successful once it has been processed and a permit is produced.

If we grant your licence then the details will be recorded and you will be given an exclusive reference code that relates to the permit at the agreed location and for an agreed period.

If a submitted application has been processed and is subsequently cancelled by you the fee is non-refundable.

Tacit consent will not apply

It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted. Contact us if you have not heard from us within 12 weeks.

Apply for a temporary road closure permit

To apply you can contact Highway Network Management on 0114 27 36677 or by email

Apply online

You can also apply online through GOV.UK.

How to make an appeal or a complaint

If you want to appeal our decision contact us on 0114 273 6677

If you want to make a complaint please do so in writing to

Contact Highway Network Management

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?