Apply to place portable traffic lights on a road

If you want to place temporary traffic lights or stop and go signs on a public highway you need a permit from us.

Temporary traffic lights may be used for safeguarding the public and people at work for example when works are being undertaken on private property.

Who can apply for a permit

Anyone can apply for a licence, but we usually receive requests from contractors in charge of works.

Who can't apply

This permit is not for utility or highway works, who will need to follow the current electronic permit and noticing procedures. 

How much the permit costs

The cost for the licence is £52 per street. This covers the administration and review of submitted site traffic management drawings.

How long the permit lasts

The duration of the permit will depend on the location and the works associated with the permit.

What you need to provide with your application

You need to send us a site traffic management drawing for each set of temporary traffic lights or Stop and Go Boards.

What happens after you've applied

We will review your application and any documentation submitted. If there are any issues, we will contact you for further information.

If your application is granted the details will be recorded and you will be given an exclusive reference code that relates to the licence at the agreed location and for an agreed period.

Tacit consent will not apply

It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted. You should contact us if you have not heard from us within 12 weeks.

Apply for a portable traffic light permit

You can request a portable traffic signals permit from Highway Network Management by calling 0114 2736677 or emailing You can also apply online through GOV.UK.

How to make an appeal or a complaint

If you want to appeal a decision you can contact us on 0114 273 6677.

If you want to make a complaint please do so in writing to

Contact Highway Network Management

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?