If a car or burglar alarm is going off in your area and the owner isn’t around to switch it off, we’ve got a legal right to silence it.

If we can’t find the owner or occupier we have to serve a ’noise abatement notice’ on them, which gives them 30 minutes to silence the alarm. If the alarm continues to go off, we disable it, taking care not to damage property and leave it secure.

If we’ve had to change the locks on your car or property we’ll leave a notice telling you the number to ring to collect your new keys, or you can contact us (during normal office hours).

When you come to collect your new keys you must bring valid ID and proof of ownership or tenancy of the property. We will recover costs for silencing the alarm from you.

Register with our Alarm Registration Service

You can register with our Alarm Registration Service so that we’ll be able to contact a key-holder in the event of a complaint. To register, download the form and send it by email to or by post to:

Environmental Protection Service

5th Floor, Howden House


S1 2HH

Fire alarms

If a fire alarm is going off, please call the Fire Brigade on 999.

Contact Customer Services

1 Union Street
Howden House
S1 2SH

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?