Apply for a Building Notice

The Building Notice procedure allows applicants to give notice of their intent to carry out works associated with a dwelling without submitting information for formal assessment and approval. This includes minor domestic works, such as:

  • removing a load bearing wall and inserting a steel or reinforced concrete beam
  • installing a new or altering an existing heating appliance and flue and associated works
  • extending an existing dwelling
  • installation of bathroom or shower
  • install replacement windows (if you do not use a Fensa registered company)
  • rewire or modify electrical installations to an existing dwelling (if you have not used a member of a Competent Person Self-Certification Scheme)
Making payment

Once you have applied, we will send you a payment link for our online payment service. Please use the address where the work is taking place as the payment reference.

Building Notice or Full Plans Building Regulation Approval

Formal assessment and approval of plans with accompanying information (Full Plans Application) is still available to applicants.

Under this procedure the level of information submitted at the application stage can be rationalised to a level that allows our Building Control Service to adequately:

  • identify the site or property involved
  • assess nature of the work involved
  • assess the details submitted

The main difference in the procedure is that Building Control does not formally assess for approval the information supplied under the Building Notice route.

The emphasis is transferred to on-site assessment and approval of works during the construction process.

However, sufficient details of the proposals are still required. Where these are not included with the submission, a counter notice may be served requesting more information.

You must notify Building Standards a minimum of 2 working days before you intend to commence work. You must also do this at particular stages during the construction process to allow effective inspection of works.

Completion Certificate

On satisfactory completion of the works Building Control will issue a completion certificate. This indicates that construction standards conform with the Building Regulations.

The certificate is a valuable document and should be retained for any future sale of the property.

You can consult with Building Control before making an application to obtain further assistance relating to the level of information required. This will include the charge appropriate to the type of work to be carried out.

The Building Notice application remains valid for 3 years from the date of application. 

The total value of charges when using the Building Notice procedure is identical to when using the Full Plans procedure.

The difference is that the whole of the charge is payable on deposit of the Building notice application.

Other approvals

Your proposed works may require approval under the Town and Country Planning Acts.

If your proposal will affect your neighbour in some fashion you have responsibility under the Party Wall Act 1996 to contact them before your application is made.

Building Notices cannot be used for

A Building Notice should only be used for minor works and cannot be used for the following:

  • where the proposal will involve building work over or within 3m of a sewer as shown on the map of sewers held by the sewerage undertaker, which in Sheffield is Yorkshire Water
  • the erection of a building fronting onto a private street
  • building work in relation to a building to which the Regulatory reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 applies

Contact Building Control Services

4th Floor
1 Union Street
S1 2SH

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?