Refer someone who is homeless or at risk of homelessness

There are a number of public services that have a duty to identify and refer service users who may be homeless or at risk of homelessness. These include:

  • prisons
  • youth offender institutions
  • youth offending teams
  • secure training centres
  • secure colleges
  • probation services (including rehabilitation companies)
  • Jobcentre Plus
  • Social Service authorities
  • emergency departments 
  • urgent treatment centres 
  • hospitals in their function of providing inpatient care

Before making a referral, you must get written consent from the individual. The individual should also identify the housing authority in England they wish to be referred to.

Making a referral

Complete the form below and email it to

This is not a secure email address, so you must password-protect the attachment and send a second email containing the password.

Contact Housing Solutions

0114 273 6306
8:30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday
0800 7311 689 (emergency out of hours)

Want to talk to someone right now?