The UK may leave the European Union (EU) in the coming months. This could have an effect on businesses and residents of Sheffield, as well as the status of EU nationals living in the city. 

Use the information below to find out how to prepare.

EU Nationals living in Sheffield

If you are an EU citizen or a citizen of Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, you may need to apply to continue living in the UK if it leaves the European Union.


If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, businesses may need to take action before the leave date.

To find out how your business may be affected, the Government has created an online tool that will provide you with information on

  • What your business needs to do to prepare
  • What will change in your industry
  • Information on changes in rules and regulation

We encourage any Sheffield business currently importing or exporting goods, inside or outside the EU, to contact an International Trade Advisor at Sheffield Chamber of Commerce and Industry on 0114 201 8888 or email

You do not need to be a Sheffield Chamber of Commerce Member to access this free support.

A summary of the main issues that will affect businesses, including an indication of what they can do now to prepare themselves, are included on our Welcome to Sheffield business website. 


If you are planning to travel abroad in the coming months then you should ensure you have read the latest advice for passport holders. If you are planning to drive outside of the UK, you may need to apply for an international driving permit (IDP)

If you are travelling abroad, current European Health Insurance Cards may not be valid.

Contact Customer Services

1 Union Street
Howden House
S1 2SH

Mon to Fri, 8:45am to 4:45pm.