EU Settlement Scheme - settled or pre-settled status

If you’re a European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss citizen, you and your family will need to apply to get settled status before 30 June 2021 to continue to live in the UK after this time. It will also mean you can continue to access public services, such as the NHS, as you do now.

What is settled or pre-settled status

Both allow you to continue living in the UK after 31 December 2020. You will have until 30 June 2021 to apply for either settled or pre-settled status. It will also mean you can continue to access public services, such as the NHS, as you do now.

Who can apply

You need to apply for settles status if:

You can also apply for settled status for your child or children.

EU, EEA or Swiss citizens

The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

This means you need to apply even if you:

Non EU, EEA or Swiss citizen

You may be able to apply if you’re not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen but:

  • you used to have an EU, EEA or Swiss family member living in the UK (but you’ve separated, or they’ve died)
  • you’re the family member of a British citizen and you lived outside the UK in an EEA country together
  • you’re the family member of a British citizen who also has EU, EEA or Swiss citizenship and who lived in the UK as an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen before getting British citizenship
  • you’re the primary carer of a British, EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
  • you’re the child of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen who used to live and work in the UK, or the child’s primary carer

You’ll usually need to provide proof of your relationship to your family member from the EU, EEA or Switzerland.

Read guidance on how to apply if you’re not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen.

If you are not sure what this means for you or your family, or if you need help with the application process, support is available from Citizen’s Advice Sheffield.

What happens if you don’t apply

If you have not made an application to the EU Settlement Scheme by 30 June 2021, you will become unlawfully present and will be at risk of losing access to employment and benefits. 

You may be subject to other sanctions, such as being unable to rent from a private landlord in England or get free secondary healthcare. You could also be subject to Home Office enforcement action.

The Home Office has said that late applications will be entertained if there is a ‘reasonable excuse’ for the delay. Some examples include: 

  • children whose parent, guardian or local authority fails to apply on their behalf
  • people in abusive or controlling relationships who were prevented from applying
  • those who lack the physical or mental capacity to apply

If you are unsure as to whether you’re eligible to make an application, need support to make an application or have not applied by the 30 June 2021 deadline, please contact Citizens Advice Sheffield.

Help to apply 

You need to register online. The outcome of your application will be emailed to you so you will also need an email address before you start. We have arranged for local guidance on the EU Settlement Scheme and support to complete your application with Citizen’s Advice Sheffield (CAS).

They will be able to help you with your questions or any additional advice such as immigration. If you need further help with your application CAS can refer you for a bookable telephone appointment. Advisers speak a number of languages and translated materials are also available.

Documents you need to apply

Due to COVID-19, the Home Office will accept alternative evidence of identity due to circumstances beyond the individual’s control or due to compelling practical or compassionate circumstances. 

If your passport or national identity document have expired, they may still be valid due to regulations implemented because of COVID-19.

There is published guidance regarding expired passports or national identity documents with some countries automatically extending their validity. 

Full Government guidance, including details of extensions to expired documents, is available on the EU Settlement Scheme caseworker guidance webpage on the GOV.UK website.

Applying with the Home Office

It is free to apply for settled status through the Home Office.

Contact Citizen's Advice Sheffield

0808 278 7820
Monday to Friday
10am to 4pm

S1 2SH

Want to talk to someone right now?