Sheffield is divided into 28 electoral wards. Each ward is represented by 3 City Councillors who are elected in local elections. These are shown below.
Electoral review: changes to ward boundaries
The Local Government Boundary Commission for England carried out an electoral review in Sheffield between August 2013 and March 2015.
The aim of the review was to recommend ward boundaries that mean each councillor represents approximately the same number of voters and that ward boundaries reflect the interests and identities of local communities.
The review covered the whole authority, with potential changes to all City Council wards.
The Commission made final recommendations which were laid before Parliament.
They recommended that the Council should continue to be made up of 84 councillors, and 28 wards.
Most wards kept their name and much of their current electorate, but a small number of wards had significant differences.
The most changed wards are the:
- City ward (comprised of part of the old Central ward)
- Nether Edge and Sharrow (comprised of most of the Sharrow part of the old Central ward and much of the old Nether Edge ward)
- Ecclesall (which took on the Carter Knowle area of the old Nether Edge ward, and lost part of the rural south west of the city to Fulwood and Dore and Totley)
- Broomhill and Sharrow Vale (which includes much of the old Broomhill, also including Sharrow Vale and Broomhall)
There were a number of wards with smaller changes, and 8 wards whose boundaries remained unchanged:
- Arbourthorne, which changes its name to Park and Arbourthorne
- East Ecclesfield
- Manor Castle
- Shiregreen and Brightside
- Stocksbridge and Upper Don
- West Ecclesfield
The boundaries came into effect at the May 2016 election.
There are six electoral constituencies in Sheffield, each represented by one Member of Parliament.
The boundaries of these constituencies are currently under review by the Boundary Commission for England which has recommended changes to Sheffield's existing boundaries. You can view their recommended changes.