Starting a new food business
You can contact us for some basic advice about starting a new food business. While anyone can open a food business, we advise you to gain catering experience and/or qualifications.
You should also visit the Food Standards Agency website for further information.
All food premises within the Sheffield city boundary must register with us 28 days before opening. It is a criminal offence to operate an unregistered food premises.
Who should apply
Premises where food and/or drink operations are carried out on a regular basis should be registered with us.
By food and/or drink operations we mean:
- storing or handling
- selling or providing
- food businesses
- mobile food units (kept within the Sheffield boundary overnight)
- market stalls
- delivery vehicles and other moveable structures
- charitable and non-profit organisations
- seasonal businesses
It also includes:
- non-profit organisations, such as charities and lunch clubs serving tea, coffee and biscuits
- all public houses even if they only serve drinks and bar snacks and do not provide meals
- catering from your home, for example cake production or jam making
- food provided as part of an event for which no charge is made
Childminder food business registration
If you are a childminder who provides food, you will automatically be registered as a food business when you register with Ofsted. This only applies for registrations made on or after 1 January 2014 and is part of the Government’s commitment to reduce the burden on business.
There no costs involved in registration.
What happens once you have made an application
On receipt of your registration form it will be risk assessed to determine the level of risk your business operation(s) may pose to the public. Examples of high risk businesses include:
- pubs serving meals
- preparation and storage of high risk food items
Examples of low risk businesses include:
- premises selling wrapped sweets and crisps
- pubs serving only drinks and snacks
We cannot provide you with a date for the inspection, but it will be as soon as possible after opening.
Tacit consent will apply
This means that you may trade from the date you specify on your registration form.
You can apply online to register your food premises.
You must also inform us if there is a change of ownership, business address or name, nature of the business, or if you cease trading. We will not acknowledge receipt of your registration form unless you request it.
How to make an appeal or a complaint
If you wish to make an appeal or complaint you should contact us.