The Licensing Service will be closed for a period of eight days between 25 December to 1 January. We will resume normal service on Thursday 2 January 2020.

You must register a new food business 28 days before opening as it is a criminal offence to operate an unregistered food premise.  There is no charge for registration.

You may trade from the date you specify on your registration form. It is your responsibility to provide safe food at your business.

We can't provide you with a date for the inspection, but it will be as soon as possible after opening.

Who must register?

Premises in Sheffield where food and/or drink operations are carried out on a regular basis must be registered with us. 

By food and/or drink operations we mean:

  • preparing
  • storing or handling
  • cooking
  • distributing
  • selling or providing  food and/or drink

This includes:              

  • food businesses
  • mobile food units should be registered if they are kept in Sheffield overnight
  • market stalls
  • delivery vehicles and other moveable structures
  • charitable and non-profit organisations
  • seasonal businesses

It  also includes:

  • non-profit organisations, such as charities and lunch clubs serving tea, coffee and biscuits
  • all public houses even if they only serve drinks and bar snacks, and do not provide meals
  • catering from your home, for example cake production or jam making
  • food provided as part of an event for which no charge is made

Childminder food business registration

If you are a childminder who provides food, you will automatically be registered as a food business when you register with Ofsted.  This only applies for registrations made on or after 1 January 2014, and is part of the government’s commitment to reduce the burden on business.

Handling food that comes from animals

If you make, prepare or handle food that comes from animals (for example meat or dairy products) and do not sell directly to the public, please contact us, as you may need formal approval to carry out your processes.

How to register

You can download and print our Food Business Registration form which must be completed, signed and the original returned to us by the Royal Mail to the address shown. We will not acknowledge receipt of your registration form unless you request it. If you don’t have access to a printer, please contact us and we can post a form to you.

Next Steps

Once your registration is submitted you don’t have to wait for the inspection to begin trading. When you have registered we will take a look at your registration form to determine the level of risk your business operations may pose to the public. Examples of high risk businesses include:

  • cafes
  • restaurants
  • takeaways
  • caterers
  • pubs serving meals
  • preparation and storage of high risk food items

Examples of low risk businesses include:

  • premises selling wrapped sweets and crisps
  • pubs serving only drinks and snacks

You must inform us if there is a change of ownership, business address or name, nature of the business, or if you cease trading.

Starting a new food business?

You can contact us for some basic advice about starting up a new food business. You should also visit the Food Standards Agency website for further information. 

Whilst anyone can open a food business, we advise you to gain catering experience and/or qualifications.

Contact Health Protection

5th Floor North
Howden House
1 Union Street

S1 2SH