The Licensing Service will be closed for a period of eight days between 25 December to 1 January. We will resume normal service on Thursday 2 January 2020.

Children in entertainment (stage, film, television, radio, modelling, and sport) need to have a licence to take part in the performance or activity. Such children must be supervised at all times, either by their parent or guardian or by an approved chaperone. 

We issue Child Performance Licences and Chaperone Licences to protect children in entertainment and make sure that their experience is enjoyable, safe and rewarding.

Child Performance Licences

There are laws which regulate children in entertainment. When a performance involves children, these laws require an application to be made to the Local Authority for all children up to the end of their compulsory education. This is defined as the last Friday in June in the academic year in which they turn 16.

The licensing system is designed to provide a check that those responsible for using children in performances, paid sport and modelling, make suitable arrangements to safeguard them. Licensing applies to both professional and amateur performances but it does not apply to school performances. Licences are issued free of charge.

If you are unsure whether you need to apply or which type of licence to apply for, please contact us to discuss your performance.


Applications should be submitted 21 days before the first day of the performance. Any applications submitted with only 5 clear working days’ notice or less (this does not include the day of submission and the first day of performance) will be refused, as the necessary checks cannot be completed within this time.

If school absence is required for the performance then please request that the headteacher of the child’s school completes the form called headteacher’s permission.

Standard Licence

A Standard Licence is for performances which run on specific days with a specific production company. It is required if there is a payment being made for the child’s involvement in a performance or if the child will be absent from school for the performance.

Children performing abroad

If a child is going to perform abroad, a licence cannot be granted by the Local Authority. An application for a licence must be made to the Magistrates Court where the child lives.

Body of Persons Approval 

A Body of Persons Approval (BOPA) is an approval given by the local authority where a performance is taking place to a group (a ‘Body of Persons’).  This means that they do not have to have standard licences for each child in a performance. 

In order to be granted a BOPA, a group must demonstrate that they have clear, robust and well embedded safeguarding policies and arrangements in place that  protect the children. 

The performance has to also meet the following criteria:

  • no payment is being made for the child’s involvement in the performance
  • there will be no absence from school

The organisation responsible for putting on the performance and for ensuring the safety and wellbeing of the children taking part, must apply for the approval. They can be any type of organisation; it does not matter if they are a professional company, amateur group, stage or broadcasting company.


An exemption from licensing can be granted if:

  • no payment is being made for the child’s involvement in the performance
  • there will be no absence from school
  • the child has not performed on more than 4 days in the previous 6 months


We may make inspections at places of entertainment in Sheffield. These inspections are normally done by the Licensing Service Enforcement Officers and/or Sheffield Children's Safeguarding Partnership.

Inspections could also include a Fire Officer or Health and Safety Inspector or a Police Officer. The inspectors will make themselves known on arrival and provide proper identity cards


The Children Performances Regulations 2014 state that any child working in entertainment must be cared for by a registered Chaperone. The Chaperone is responsible for the proper care and control of the child, including his/her comfort, treatment and moral welfare.

A Chaperone’s first priority is always to the child. A Chaperone is the key person to whom the child looks to for guidance, protection, clarification and support. At no time should a child perform if unwell. If there are ever serious children protection issues please contact the Police immediately.

Chaperones are there to:

  • protect children
  • secure the health and comfort of the child
  • mediate between the child, the licence holder and the licensing authority
  • advocate on the behalf of the child
  • ensure the performance licence conditions and laws are upheld

Applying to become a Chaperone

To become a Licensed Chaperone you will need to complete the following requirements, please be aware this process can take up to 6 weeks to complete:

  • submit an application including two passport style photographs
  • provide two references, one should be your present or previous employer
  • complete our online Chaperone training module
  • attend a short information interview with our team
  • undergo a DBS check, even if you already have a check for your current job role

All Chaperones must apply for a new license every 3 years. This will be recognised by all Local Authorities, enabling you to work as a chaperone anywhere in the UK.

If there is any evidence of an offence or the Chaperone is found to be unsuitable for any other reason, the licensing authority has the power to revoke a license and de-register a Chaperone. 

Disclosure and Barring Scheme (DBS)

If you want to be registered as a Chaperone, we must carry out an enhanced DBS check.  DBS checks now do not have a specific length of time attached, therefore we will need to undertake regular checks to ensure the suitability of the people licensed to work with children. 

If you are already registered with the DBS online update service, in order for us to do a DBS check as part of your Chaperone application we will need to see your original DBS certificate which you signed up to the service with, and it will need to be an enhanced disclosure within the parameters of 'child workforce'. 

If you no longer have that certificate or the parameters of the check are not in line with our requirements, we will have to do a new full DBS check.

Applying to Renew your Chaperone Licence

In order to renew your Chaperone licence you will need to:

  • submit a renewal application
  • submit an up to date signed photograph
  • complete our online Chaperone training again
  • complete a new DBS application

In the event that you have signed up to the online checking service, we must see the original DBS certificate and ensure it is clear and within required parameters. 

You should be aware that this process could take up to 6 weeks to complete, so ensure you've submitted your renewal application with enough time before your current Chaperone licence expires.

Renewal applications need to be made within one month of your current licence expiring or a new application will be need to be made.