Moving to adult care

Children moving into adulthood need to make plans for their future care, arrangements which will help them to live as independently as possible. You can get support for people over 18 to remain independent, safe and well. We will help you with your support planning.

Transition assessment

You will have a transition assessment if you are likely to have care and support needs after you are 18. If you are supported by the Children’s Disability Service, your assessment will usually happen when you are 17, although planning for the future will start as part of reviewing your Education, Health and Care Plan when you are 14.


We can offer a transition assessment of your needs as a carer to make sure we can support them too, if you are:

  • a child’s carer (an adult caring for a young person who is likely to have care and support needs after they are 18)
  • a young carer who is approaching 18

Contact Children, Young People and Families Service

Town Hall
Pinstone Street
S1 2HH

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?