Council Tax discounts

Discounts for single people

Discounts for single people

If you are the only adult living in your property, you can apply for a single person discount to reduce your Council Tax bill by 25%.

If you already receive the single person discount and your child reaches the age of 18, or another adult gives up their home and moves into your home, you must cancel your single person discount within 21 days of the change.

Second Adult Rebate

You may be able to claim Second Adult Rebate if you:

  • have reached the age for claiming State Pension Credit
  • are the only person liable to pay Council Tax in the household
  • have other adults living with you who are on a low income

If you already get Council Tax Support, you will not need to claim Second Adult Rebate.

If you are entitled to Council Tax Support and Second Adult Rebate, you will get the one that gives you the most money. The most we can pay for Second Adult Rebate is 25% of your Council Tax bill.

Contact Council Tax

0114 273 6633
Monday to Friday
8:30am to 5:30pm
PO Box 1310
Howden House
1 Union Street
S1 2SH

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?