Council Tax discounts

Discounts for full-time students

Discounts for full-time students

You can only apply for a student discount or exemption if:

  • you are the liable person for Council Tax purposes; and
  • you are a full time student, or the property you live in is occupied by one or more students, school or college leavers

Households where everyone is a full-time student do not have to pay Council Tax and should apply for a student exemption online. If there is someone in the household who is not a full-time student, you might still qualify for a discount.

However, if two or more people living in the property are not qualifying students, no 

reduction is allowed.

You’re classed as a full time student for Council Tax purposes if you’re:

  • enrolled at a college, university or similar, and your course lasts for at least one full academic year, which involves at least 24 study weeks in each year, with an average of 21 hours of study a week
  • under 20 years old, and you’re enrolled on a course which lasts more than 3 months (for example, A level, ONC and OND Standard) and involves at least 12 hours of study a week, between the hours of 8am and 5:30pm
  • over 18 years old but your parents receive child benefit for you. This will automatically be awarded where we are aware of your entitlement to child benefit
  • under 20 years old and left school or college after 30th April. This disregard will automatically be awarded until your 20th birthday or the 1 November after you finish your course (whichever is the soonest)
  • on your summer holidays between the years of your course
  • taking a study break but remain enrolled with the college or university and intend to return to your studies
  • a foreign language assistant at a school or college in Great Britain and you’re registered with the British Council for Educational Visits and Exchanges
  • you’re not classed as a full-time student for Council Tax purposes if you’re studying on a correspondence course, evening class or on a course connected with your job, or if you’re taking a gap year

Contact Council Tax

0114 273 6633
Monday to Friday
8:30am to 5:30pm
PO Box 1310
Howden House
1 Union Street
S1 2SH

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?