Reporting damp and mould

We take all reports of damp and mould extremely seriously and would encourage you to get in touch if you think you have any problems in your home. We want to do everything we reasonably can to make sure our customers stay safe, healthy, warm and well in their homes.  

We have created a damp and mould task force to improve how we respond to issues of damp and mould across council homes.

The initial key actions from the action plan the task force has put in place include:

  • prioritising and inspecting all reports of damp and mould, with the aim of inspecting the majority of cases within 5 working days
  • where damp and mould is caused by a leak, we aim to respond to all reports of a leak within 24 hours
  • prioritising the inspection and assessment of damp and mould in the homes and blocks that are most likely to suffer from damp and mould problems
  • working with our tenant and resident associations (TARAs) to ensure we have a joined-up, clear, and standard response for tackling damp and mould - and no cases fall through the gaps of our collective responsibilities

How to report concerns

Council tenants

If you have concerns about damp and mould in a council property, please email or call us on 0114 273 5555.

Private rented tenants

We are working with housing associations and private landlords to ensure all rented homes across Sheffield are well maintained and of a decent standard. If you have concerns about damp and mould, it is important to ensure that your landlord is fully aware of all the concerns you have and that they have had reasonable time to respond. If your landlord has failed to undertake repairs, you can contact our Private Housing Standards team.

How to prevent condensation and damp

Condensation dampness is a form of damp which is common in houses that are poorly ventilated and insulated. It often gets worse in winter, causing the growth of black spot mould on walls and other cold surfaces such as tiles and sealants around sinks, baths and windows.

Try the following to reduce condensation in your home:

  • vent tumble dryers to the outside of your property, unless it is self-condensing
  • try to avoid drying clothes on radiators
  • dry washing outdoors on a line, or put it in the bathroom with the door closed and the window open or the fan on
  • close the kitchen and bathroom doors when they are in use, even if there is an extractor fan
  • when cooking, open windows in the kitchen or use an extractor fan (if fitted)
  • cover saucepans while cooking and do not leave kettles boiling
  • increase ventilation by keeping windows and vents open
  • keep temperatures in all rooms above 15°C as this will reduce condensation forming on external walls
  • avoid using paraffin and portable flue-less gas heaters
  • wipe down surfaces affected by condensation regularly, to prevent black spot mould growth
  • wipe and dry any affected windows and window sills every morning to stop water evaporating onto your furnishings
  • ensure there is a space between the back of wardrobes and the wall, and avoid positioning in front of exterior walls
  • ensure cupboards and drawers are not full as this will restrict air flow

The Property Care Association offer advice, guidance, and measures that can be taken to help resolve condensation related dampness problems.

Penetrating damp and rising damp

Penetrating or rising damp is different to condensation dampness.

Penetrating damp occurs when a fault in a building’s structure lets water in from the outside, resulting in a wet patch (without any mould growth).

If there is a problem with a home’s damp proof course, you might get rising damp, which creates a ‘tide mark’ on the walls.

If you think you have either rising or penetrating damp in your council property, contact our repairs service or visit your Neighbourhood Office or First Point.

Contact Council Housing Service

0114 293 0000
Monday to Friday
8am to 5:30pm
Housing and Neighbourhood Service
PO Box 5967
S2 9GH

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?