Make a change (variation) to your street trading consent

To change your current street trading consent you need to apply to us.

What you can change

You can change:

  • the vehicle or unit used
  • your operating hours (on static applications)
  • your trading days
  • what items you sell

Any changes must still be in line with our qualitative criteria.

What you can't change

You can't:

  • change the consent holder
  • add a new consent holder
  • change the trading site(s)

If you need to make any of these changes you will need to apply for a new street trading consent.

Make a minor change

If you want to make a minor variation to the details of your consent, you can do this by writing to us with any supporting information. A minor change is cheaper than applying for a full change (variation).

Examples of minor change could be:

  • changing the existing consent holders name/address (not a transfer)
  • removal of an existing consent holder on a joint application

Who can apply to change (vary) a street trading consent

The existing consent holder(s) must apply for the change.


The costs to apply for a change are:

  • change (vary) a street trading consent: £115
  • minor variation to a street trading consent: £32

What you need to provide with your application

You will need to send us:

  • a completed application form and privacy statement
  • the relevant fee
  • any further information you may wish to submit in support of your application

What happens once you have made an application

Once we receive your application, we will consult with any relevant parties associated with your application for 28 days.

If there are no issues we will re-issue your consent with the changes you have requested.

If we have any issues with your application or if there are objections, we will refer your application to our licensing committee as soon as possible and they will make a decision on your application. You and any objectors will also be invited to attend.

If your change is to a city centre consent, your application may have to go to the licensing committee for a decision regardless of any objections.

Tacit consent will not apply

This means that it is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 28 days you should contact us.

Apply to change (vary) your street trading consent

Before you apply you should pay the application fee online and include your payment reference number with your application.

You can then download and complete the application form and privacy statement and send it and any relevant documents to:

Licensing Service

Block C, Staniforth Road Depot

Staniforth Road


S9 3HD

Apply for a minor variation

Before you apply you should pay the application fee and include your payment reference number in your letter.

You can then send us a letter telling us what needs to be changed and send us any relevant supporting documents alongside your payment reference number.

Apply online

You can apply online, but you may be asked for further information or documentation before we can start processing your application. This may take longer than applying by post.

How to make an appeal or a complaint

There is no appeal procedure against the refusal or revocation of any consent. You may apply for judicial review of our decision.

Members of the public who are experiencing problems with traders should contact us for advice.

Contact the Licensing Team

0114 273 4264
Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm
Block C
Staniforth Road Depot
S9 3HD

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?