Street party licences

Street parties and fetes are a traditional part of community life; they are a simple way for us to get to know our neighbours and meet members of our community.

We define a street party as:

  • for residents/neighbours only
  • publicity only to residents
  • no licences normally necessary if music is incidental and no selling is involved
  • no formal risk assessment needed
  • self-organised by the local residents

Permissions and licenses

Typically a street party will involve closing a street. To do this, you need to complete a road closure application as soon as possible before the event is due to take place.  We will need at least 2 weeks to process these applications.

Please note, if you want to:

  • hold live performances, film screenings or dancing
  • play live or pre-recorded music for entertainment purposes
  • sell alcohol
  • hold a raffle
  • sell food and hot drinks between 11pm and 5am

you may also need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN), for which there is a small charge.

EUGO logo. Text reads "In partnership with EUGO"

Contact the Licensing Team

0114 273 4264
Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm
Block C
Staniforth Road Depot
S9 3HD

Want to talk to someone right now?