House to house collection permit

You will need a house to house collection permit from us if you are planning on collecting money, items for sale or items for use from people's houses or from business premises for a charitable purpose.

All collections are required to be undertaken in accordance with the House to House Collections Act 1939 and the House to House Regulations 1947.


The Charity Commission can issue an exemption certificate to larger charities while we regulate smaller collectors.

If you have an exemption certificate and wish to collect in Sheffield, contact us with the dates and areas of where you propose to collect.

Who can apply for a house to house collection permit

Anyone who wishes to collect money or articles for sale or use can apply for a house to house collection permit.

Every organisation that is carrying out collections needs to make sure that anyone authorised to act as collectors are fit and proper persons who are compliant with the provisions of the regulations

You must ensure compliance in regards to the dates and areas specified on the permit along with the regulation requirements.

How long the permit lasts

We can issue a permit for up to 1 year, after which you will need to apply for a new permit.


There are no costs involved in applying for this permit.

What you need to provide with your application

You will be required to submit the following:

  1. a completed application form (and privacy statement if you're applying by post)
  2. a letter of authority from the charity you are collecting for which states that you have been authorised to collect on their behalf
  3. at least 28 days notice of the start date you wish to collect from

What happens once you have made an application

Once we have received your application, there will be a 28 day period during which we consult with South Yorkshire Police for any comments and take into account any regulations.

We recommend you submit your application as soon as practical to ensure there is no delay.

In deciding on whether to grant your application we must be satisfied that the applicant is fit and proper, and can take into account specified convictions and any information provided by the police.

If we intend to refuse your application you will be served a notice of this intention. Your application will then be determined by a licensing committee which you will be invited to attend.

If there are no issues, you will be issued with a permit setting out details of the authorised collection. You will be required to follow the next two steps when a permit is issued to you:

  1. apply to HM Stationery Office (HMSO) for copies of the prescribed certificate of authority and prescribed badges (which you will need to supply to all your collectors). Please note there will be a charge for these
  2. submit a form of account expenses to the us within one month of your permit expiring

Tacit consent will not apply

You cannot assume your licence has been granted if you haven't heard from us within 28 days. It is in the public interest that your application is processed to ensure public security and that applications are not fraudulent. If you have not heard from us after this period you should contact us.

Form of account expenses

Once a collection has taken place you must submit a form of account expenses to us within one month of the expiry of your licence.

Apply for a house to house collection permit or submit a form of account expenses

You can apply online for a permit or submit a form of account expenses online.

Apply by post

You can download and print the application form and send it to us by post.

How to make an appeal or a complaint

You should contact us if you want to make an appeal. An applicant is able to appeal our decision to refuse or revoke a licence to the Secretary of State within 14 days of the notice of decision.

If you are experiencing problems with a collector you should contact us for advice

EUGO logo. Text reads "In partnership with EUGO"

Contact the Licensing Team

0114 273 4264
Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm
Block C
Staniforth Road Depot
S9 3HD

Want to talk to someone right now?