Register a food business

All food premises within the Sheffield city boundary must register with us 28 days before opening. 

It is a criminal offence to operate an unregistered food premises.

Who should apply

Premises where food and/or drink operations are carried out on a regular basis should be registered with us.

By food and/or drink operations we mean:

  • preparing
  • storing or handling
  • cooking
  • distributing
  • selling or providing

This includes:              

  • food businesses
  • mobile food units (kept within the Sheffield boundary overnight)
  • market stalls
  • delivery vehicles and other moveable structures
  • charitable and non-profit organisations
  • seasonal businesses

It also includes:

  • non-profit organisations, such as charities and lunch clubs serving tea, coffee and biscuits
  • all public houses even if they only serve drinks and bar snacks and do not provide meals
  • catering from your home, for example cake production or jam making
  • food provided as part of an event for which no charge is made

Starting a new food business

You can contact us for some basic advice about starting up a new food business. You should also visit the Food Standards Agency website for further information. 

Whilst anyone can open a food business, we advise you to gain catering experience and/or qualifications.

Childminder food business registration

If you are a childminder who provides food, you will automatically be registered as a food business when you register with Ofsted. This only applies for registrations made on or after 1 January 2014 and is part of the Government’s commitment to reduce the burden on business.


There no costs involved in registration.

What happens once you have made an application

Once we have received your registration form it will be risk assessed to determine the level of risk your business operation(s) may pose to the public. Examples of high risk businesses include:

  • cafes
  • restaurants
  • takeaways
  • caterers
  • pubs serving meals
  • preparation and storage of high risk food items

Examples of low risk businesses include:

  • premises selling wrapped sweets and crisps
  • pubs serving only drinks and snacks

We cannot provide you with a date for the inspection, but it will be as soon as possible after opening.

High risk food businesses will be inspected on a regular basis. Low risk businesses (such as corner shops) may be visited less frequently or be required to complete a self-assessment form instead of being visited. 

Tacit consent will apply

This means that you may trade from the opening date you specify on your registration form.

You should submit your application at least 28 days before the date on which you plan to open.

Apply to register your food business

You can apply online to register your premises as a food business.

You must also inform us if there is a change of ownership, business address or name, nature of the business, or if you cease trading.

How to make an appeal or a complaint

If you want to appeal or complain you should contact us.

EUGO logo. Text reads "In partnership with EUGO"

Contact Health Protection

5th Floor North
Howden House
1 Union Street
S1 2SH

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?