Child work permits

Having a part time job can be a rewarding and enjoyable experience for a child or young person, but it's important that they're kept safe from any harm or potential exploitation. 

The parents or carers and prospective employers of children and young people thinking about getting a part time job need to be aware of the laws that are in place to protect everyone involved.

In order to ensure that employers are working within the law, a work permit is required which states the terms under which the child will be employed. The work permit is evidence that the right permission has been sought and obtained.

The work permit means that the child will be covered by the employer's liability insurance and is entitled to the same level of care and consideration as other employees in the company.

Child employment guidance and byelaws

The Department for Education Child Employment Guidance helps the local authority to implement the law for children in relation to work in addition to the Working Time Regulations.

These guidance documents also provide key information for employers, parents and other stakeholders to promote understanding and effective operation of the law.

You can download our guidance for assistance and future reference. It is useful for:

  • employers looking to offer part time employment to a child or young person
  • the parent or carer of a child or young person who is looking for part time work
  • a child or young person thinking of looking for a part time job

Specific byelaws are also included in the guidance but can be downloaded separately if required.

We have also developed guidance for conducting a safeguarding risk assessment which can be used to help you consider safeguarding risks in addition to Health and Safety risks.

Informal work

Some children can be involved in informal types of work. Some of this work might not require a work permit but it is important that it’s still monitored and the child is kept safe. Our guidance is useful for those working in informal work.

Apply for a work permit

Once you have decided to apply for a work permit, you can download the relevant forms. The Application Form and Medical Declaration are both required to ensure your application is successful.

A document outlining what hours children can work is also available.

Contact Child Permits and Licences

0114 273 4264
Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm
Block C
Saniforth Road Depot
S9 3HD

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?