Change (vary) a club premises certificate

You need to apply to us if you want to make changes to your club premises certificate.

The parts of the certificate which can be changed are:

  • the hours of a permitted licensable activity (eg times that alcohol can be served)
  • adding or removing licensable activities
  • adding or removing conditions
  • altering any aspect of the layout of the premises which is shown on the premises plan

If the changes you need to make don't affect our licensing objectives, it may be possible for you to apply for a minor variation which is quicker and costs less than changing the details of your certificate.

Who can apply to change (vary) a club premises certificate

The club itself (eg club members) have to make the application to vary the club premises certificate.


The fee to change your certificate depends on the rateable value for your club premises.

Application fees are:

Rateable value band Application fee
A £100
B £190
C £315
D £450
E £635
Rateable value bands

You can calculate the fee you need to pay by finding  the rateable value of your property and that will give you the band for your licence fee.

Rateable value Band
No rateable value to £4,300 A
£4,301 to £33,000 B
£33,001 to £87,000 C
£87,001 to £125,000 D
£125,001 and above E

What you need to provide with your application

You need to submit the following:

1.     A completed application to vary a club premises certificate (and privacy statement if applying by post)

You must submit the application with all required fields completed. You can do this online or use the downloadable form to send by post. Your application must show clearly what changes you want to make.

The application form must be signed on behalf of the club. A club’s agent (for example a solicitor) may sign the form on their behalf provided that they have actual authority to do so.

You will also need to read and sign the privacy statement.

2.     A plan of the premises if you are changing the layout

If you are requesting an amendment to the existing club layout you should submit a new plan of the premises with the requested changes. The plan must be in a specific format following our guidance.

How to produce a premises plan

The plan shall be drawn in standard scale (1:100) unless you have agreed with us in writing beforehand to use an alternative scale.

The plan must show:

  • the extent of the boundary of the building, if relevant, and any external and internal walls of the building and, if different, the perimeter of the premises
  • the location of points of access to the premises
  • the location of escape routes from the premises (if different from other access points)
  • in a case where the premises is used for more than one existing licensable activity, the area within the premises that will be used for each activity
  • in a case where an existing licensable activity relates to the supply of alcohol, the location or locations on the premises which are used for consumption of alcohol 
  • fixed structures (including furniture) or similar objects temporarily in a fixed location (but not furniture) which may impact on the ability of individuals on the premises to use exits or escape routes without impediment
  • if there is a stage or raised area, the location and height of each stage or area relative to the floor
  • the location of steps, stairs, elevators or lifts if there are any
  • the location of any rooms containing public conveniences if there are any
  • the location and type of any fire safety and any other safety equipment
  • the location of a kitchen, if any, on the premises

The plan may include a legend through which the matters mentioned or referred to above are sufficiently illustrated by the use of symbols.

3.     Your original club premises certificate

Please ensure that the original club premises certificate and summary is accompanied with the application or, if that is not practical, a statement of the reasons for the failure to provide the certificate.

4.     Confirmation of advertisement of your application

You are required to advertise your application in two ways:

  • in a local newspaper
  • display a notice on the premises
How to advertise your application

There are specific guidelines your advertisements must follow.

Advertising in a local newspaper

You should publish a notice in a local newspaper on least one day within 10 working days of submitting which your application to us.

You advertisement must contain:

  • the name of the applicant
  • the postal address of the premises. If it doesn't have one then a description of the premises that makes clear their location and size
  • a statement of the relevant licensable activities which you are proposing to carry out
  • the postal address and, where applicable, the web address where our licensing register is kept, and where and when the record of the application may be inspected
  • the date by which any interested party or responsible authority may make representations (objections)
  • explain that any representations need to be made in writing to us
  • explain that it is an offence to knowingly or recklessly make a false statement in connection with an application and what the maximum fine is for conviction of this offence

Displaying a notice on your premises

You should display a notice at the premises for a period of no less than 28 consecutive days, starting the day after your application was given to us.

Your notice must be:

  • A4 or larger than A4 
  • a pale blue colour
  • printed legibly in black ink or typed in black in a font size of 16 or larger

It must be displayed prominently at or on the premises so that it can be easily read from the outside. If the premises covers an area of more than 50 metres square, a further notice in the same form and subject to the same requirements, must be placed every fifty metres along any external perimeter of the premises that opens onto a highway or street.

5.     Confirmation that you have served your application to the responsible authorities

If you are applying online this will be done automatically.

If you have not applied online, you must provide a copy of the full application and documents to a number of responsible authorities. A list of the responsible authorities in Sheffield can be downloaded alongside any relevant application forms.

What happens once you make an application

On the day after an application is received, a 28 day consultation period begins allowing comments (representations) to be made about the application by the responsible authorities, local residents or interested parties. During this time, the responsible authorities will work with you to ensure your proposals are in line with their licensing objectives.

If no comments are received during this period the application will be deemed granted after the last date for representations and your licence will be issued and sent to you.

If relevant representations are received within the 28 day consultation period a public hearing must be held to determine your application. You will be notified in writing telling you when the hearing will be, who has made a representation and what that representation is. The public hearing will be held within 20 working days after the last date for representation. The hearing date may be extended if we think it is in the public interest to do so.

Tacit consent will apply

This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the 28 day period.

Apply to change your club premises certificate

You can apply online to vary your club premises certificate.

Apply by post

How to make an appeal or a complaint

You should contact us if you want to appeal a decision.

Any applicant, responsible authority or person making representation is able to make an appeal against our decision to a Magistrate’s Court within 21 days of the notice of decision. 

Members of the public who are experiencing problems with licensed premises should contact us for advice.

EUGO logo. Text reads "In partnership with EUGO"

Contact the Licensing Team

0114 273 4264
Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm
Block C
Staniforth Road Depot
S9 3HD

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?