Voting by proxy

Voting by proxy

If you want someone to vote on your behalf, you can choose to vote by proxy.

Your proxy should:

  • be over the age of 18
  • be registered to vote in the election
  • be someone you trust to vote on your behalf

Your proxy must be able to vote for you at your specified polling station. If this is not possible they may want to apply to vote for you by post.

Applying for a proxy vote

    If you vote by proxy, both you and your proxy will receive a poll card if your proxy votes in person. If your proxy votes for you by post, you will not receive a proxy poll card. 

    You can vote yourself if you wish, if your proxy has not already voted and has not applied to vote by post.

    You can download the relevant application forms for proxy and emergency proxy voting from the Electoral Commission website. Please return completed forms by post or email to

    The deadline to apply for a proxy vote is 5pm, 6 working days before polling day.

    After this deadline, you can still apply for an emergency proxy before 5pm on polling day, if you meet one of the criteria below:

    • you have a medical emergency
    • you cannot vote in person due to work reasons
    • the ID you would use to vote has been damaged, destroyed, lost or stolen
    • you have applied for a voter authority certificate but haven't received it yet

    What to do if your name has changed

    If your name has changed (for example, through marriage or deed poll), you may be asked to provide additional supporting documents at the polling station, such as an original marriage or civil partnership certificate that provides evidence of the name change.

    If the spelling of your name is different or an alternative spelling is present to the one on the electoral register, it will be at the discretion of the Presiding Officer at the polling station whether they will accept the form of ID or not.

    Contact Electoral Services

    Town Hall
    Pinstone Street
    S1 2HH

    Want to talk to someone right now?

    Is this page helpful?

    Is this page helpful?