Find out if you need planning permission

Not all works or new uses need planning permission. The information in this page will help you decide. 

We offer a number of different ways for you to find out:

  • use interactive guides and online guidance on 'permitted development'
  • submit an application for a Lawful Development Certificate
  • make a formal pre-application enquiry

Permitted development

The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 (As Amended) grants a range of 'blanket' permissions which allow home owners and businesses to carry out extensions and changes of use without the need for planning permission, provided certain criteria are met.

These are known as 'Permitted Development Rights'. All rights are subject to local constraints, which are shown on this page.

Ensure you understand local constraints

When using our guidance you should ensure you have checked any 'permitted development' constraints on this page. These can mean that you need planning permission even if you would not in normal circumstances

Permitted development constraints

Your property may be subject to local constraints which the guides do not show. Guidance is available on what local constraints may apply, and how to research them.

These are the local planning constraints on permitted development rights:

  • a house with a small plot, built since 1970, might have permitted development rights removed by condition on the original planning permission for the development. You can either research the planning history yourself, make a planning history request for £25 or submit a pre-application enquiry
  • for buildings of national architectural or historic interest, listed building consent must be applied for in order to make any changes that might affect its special interest. Search Historic England's Heritage List to find out if your property is one of the 1,100 listed buildings in Sheffield
  • if you live in one of the 38 Conservation Areas in Sheffield you will need to apply for planning permission for certain types of work (the interactive guides explain)
  • in Broomhill and Nether Edge Conservation Areas Article 4 Directions further restrict permitted development rights
  • in areas identified by us as having higher concentrations of student accommodation, an Article 4 Direction requires planning permission for new ‘houses in multiple accommodation’
  • if your proposal involves the felling or pruning of a tree in a Conservation Area or that might be protected by a Tree Preservation Order or a planning condition, a separate tree application will be required

Written confirmation that planning permission is not required

If you think that planning permission is not required for your proposed alterations but you would like confirmation of this in writing, we can provide this service in one of the following ways.

Submit an application for a Lawful Development Certificate

For written confirmation as to whether you would need planning permission it is recommended that you submit an application for a Lawful Development Certificate (LDC). 

This will provide a formal determination that your proposed development is lawful (does not require planning permission), something which may come in useful if you intend to sell your property in the future. 

The fee for this application is half the fee that a planning application for the same development would attract. For example:

  • fee for most householder applications is £258
  • fee for an equivalent LDC would be £129

Because this is a statutory process, it is likely to take up to 8 weeks.

Make a pre-application enquiry

You can also receive written guidance as to whether planning permission is required by submitting a pre-application enquiry. There is a charge for this service.

Our written response to you will be the informal opinion of our officers only and will not be legally binding.

Contact Planning Helpline

Howden House
1 Union Street
S1 2SH

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?