Request an advisory disabled parking bay

Advisory disabled parking bay markings are used to make other drivers aware that a parking space (on a street) is needed by a person with mobility problems or hidden disabilities. If you are a Blue Badge holder you can request an advisory disabled parking bay.

Advisory disabled bay road markings (painted in yellow) are not legally enforceable by the Council or the police in the same way as disabled bays painted white with a sign and post. You should also bear in mind that advisory disabled bays are not for the sole use of the person who applied for it. As such, they can be used by any driver of a vehicle displaying a valid Blue Badge permit. 


You need to make a non-refundable payment of £125 with your application. This doesn't guarantee that your application will be accepted. If your application is accepted, then you'll be required to make a second payment to cover the cost of providing the road markings.

Current costs are:

  • first payment of £125 (assessment fee)
  • second payment of £167 (cost of road markings)

In the event of an unsuccessful application your assessment fee will not be returned to you. However, you can appeal against the decision to the Scheme Design Team Manager. Initial checks will be carried out prior to taking any payment and we will advise the applicant if the site is not suitable.

These charges are reviewed annually and are subject to change.

Before you apply

To apply you'll need to meet these requirements:

  • you must be a member of Sheffield City Council’s Blue Badge disabled person’s car parking scheme and have qualified for the badge because of impaired mobility. We also consider applicants with hidden disabilities
  • the vehicle that will be using the bay must be registered at the property and the driver must be yourself or someone else residing at the property
  • the property must be your main place of residence and not have suitable off-road parking (eg a driveway or garage)
  • you must not have use of a garage away from your property

Before you apply please be aware that:

  • a member of the Council’s Traffic Regulations team will visit your property to check that there is a suitable, safe place to put the bay
  • markings will only be provided on the Public Highway. We can't provide bays on car parks, or other off road areas
  • we ask that you display your blue badge when parked in the bay
  • misuse of a disabled person’s bay may result in its removal. In such circumstances there will be no refund of any payments made
  • the decision to approve or reject your application for a disabled person's parking bay road marking will be made entirely at the discretion of Sheffield City Council. Completion of the application form does not guarantee that a marking will be provided


How to apply

Complete the application form and email to or post to: Traffic Regulations, Howden House, 1 Union Street, Sheffield, S1 2SH.

If you require a paper form sending out to you, please contact us.

It could take up to 12 weeks for your application to be processed and up to another 12 weeks for our contractor to paint your road markings.


Repainting existing markings

If your disabled markings need to be repainted please contact us on 0114 273 6894. The repainting charge is currently £167 but may be subject to change.

Contact Traffic Regulations (Parking Restrictions) Team


Want to talk to someone right now?