Italian community research guide

In the 1820s, there was an increase in migration to the UK from Italy for economic reasons. Some of the earliest references to Italians living in Sheffield date from the 1830s.

It wasn't until the latter half of the 19th century that a significant number of Italians migrated to Sheffield.

In 1856, Sheffield's first Catholic church, St Vincent’s, opened on Solly Street. This is where much of the city's Italian community worshipped (a new one has since opened in 2011 on Pickmere Road).

By 1860, the West Bar area of Sheffield became known as Little Italy.

In 1901, the census records Sheffield’s population as 381,000. Of these 269 had been born in Italy.

Miss M Fantozzi is believed to have opened the first Italian ‘dining room’ in Sheffield (at 24 Shalesmoor) in 1963

A plaque commemorating the city's Italian community was unveiled at St Vincent’s Church in 2013.

For more information on sources relating to the Italian community at Sheffield Archives and Local Studies Library, download the sources booklet below.

Contact us through our details to find out more, book in advance or order archival materials.

Contact the Archives and Local Studies Library

First Floor, Central Library
Surrey Street
Sheffield
S1 1XZ
0114 203 9395 (Sat, Mon, Tues)
0114 273 4753 (Wed, Thur, Fri, Sat)