Apply to register as a skip operator

If you want to place skips on any highway in Sheffield you need a permit from us. Before you can apply for a permit you need to be registered as a skip operator (or skip hire contractor).

We keep a list of authorised skip hire contractors.

How much it costs

It is free to register. 

What you need to apply

You will need to provide the following information to register:

  • written details of your registered office or address
  • the number of skips you're going to operate
  • a copy of your public liability insurance cover, which should be to a minimum of £5 million 
  • a copy of your waste carrier's licence
  • a copy of your goods vehicles operators licence

What happens after you apply

We will aim to process your registration application within 28 days. Once we have received your application and the required documentation we will inspect the skip(s) to ensure that they meet builder's skip marking regulations.

We need to process your application before any skips are placed on public highway. You will usually be notified of whether or not your application has been successful within 28 days of your application. If you have not heard from us after this time you should contact us

Once registered, you will be sent the confirmation documents to sign. It will be up to you to ensure that your authorised representative signs the forms and returns them back to us as soon as possible for your registration to take effect.

Apply to register

To register as a skip operator email the required documents to or apply online.

Change your skip operator registration

If you need to amend or update any of your details or documents then email or apply to change your details online.

Contact Highway Network Management