We offer assistance on a needs basis, dependent upon the seriousness of the disrepair and how the problem has been reported to the landlord and the landlord's response.

Before we are able to look in to your case or offer an inspection we usually require you to have written to your landlord to tell him or her about the problems.  This can be done in a letter or e-mail.  If you have only raised the concerns verbally or in a text this will not usually be sufficient.

It is important to ensure that the landlord is fully aware of all the concerns you have and that they have had reasonable time to respond.

Writing to your landlord may also help, as in some circumstances, it can give you protection against eviction for up to six months.

It is a good idea to read this information about your tenancy rights before making a complaint, so that you are aware of what protection you have against eviction by your landlord.

Winter months

Please note during busy times, in the winter months where we are dealing with a high number of critical cases, the initial inspection and investigation period could be up to 3 weeks.

Reporting your problems to us

Once you have written to your landlord, and a reasonable amount of time has passed without an adequate response, we can then look at your case in more detail. In most cases between 7-10 working days would be sufficient time to allow a landlord to respond.  

This would usually mean conducting a full inspection of the property and if required then contacting your landlord directly to agree a timeframe for the improvements. This is often done informally initially, but we do have legal powers to take formal action when required. 

You can report problems to us using our Request for Service form.  Please complete all sections of the form and provide as much detail as possible; otherwise we will need to contact you which will delay your case.  If you are reporting issues with damp & mould where possible you should supply a minimum of 3 pictures which clearly show the problem.     

Photos to show other problems that you are reporting are also very helpful.

Concerns on behalf of a tenant

If you are reporting concerns on behalf of a tenant/homeowner, or if you believe your case is urgent e.g. Concerns around electrics or no heating in very cold weather, then please contact us via phone.

Health and safety hazards

  • If we have reason to think that a health or safety hazard exists  in a  property, we will carry out an inspection in accordance with the method set out in the Housing Health and Safety Rating System Regulations (HHSRS).  

    Damp and mould

    One of the most frequent areas we get complaints about is about the HHSRS hazard of damp and mould.

    However, it is a hazard that is very visible and when present can have serious effects upon the health of the occupiers.

    Some of the complaints we get about mould are as a result of the tenant's lifestyle but others are a combination of lifestyle and inadequate heating, insulation and ventilation. 

    Download our leaflet which explains about the balance of heating, insulation, ventilation and moisture production and gives advice upon treatment of mould.  It also gives guidance about when it may be the landlord's or the tenant's responsibility.