As the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak continues, we all face the challenge of responding to the impact it’s having on our lives. We are here to support you through these difficult and unprecedented times. 

If you're having difficulty paying your bill we may be able to help you.

Request a payment arrangement

If you cannot afford to pay your instalment or you miss your first payment, we can:

  • recalculate your bill to include your missed payment with your remaining payments
  • give you up to March 2021 to pay

Please email with your name, account number, contact details and your repayment proposal. 

Claim benefits and allowances 

If you're on a low income you may be able to apply for:

  • Council Tax Support
  • Council Tax Hardship Scheme (if you're in receipt of Council Tax Support but you are still unable to make payments)

Help for working age households on a low income

The Government is finalising details of this new scheme, but we expect that households in receipt of Council Tax Support for 2020/21 will receive £150 extra reduction from their Council Tax bill.

We will automatically award this if you qualify and you will receive a reduced bill.

In the meantime, if you are in receipt of Council Tax Support and due to make your next instalment by direct debit, we won't take your payment.

If you have lost your job or have to take time off work and you do not get paid

You might be entitled to claim benefits. Check if you are entitled to claim Employment Support Allowance or Universal Credit to top up your income.

Contact Council Tax

Ask us a question

0114 273 6633 Monday to Friday, 8:45am to 4:45pm

PO Box 1310
Howden House
1 Union Street

S1 2SH