Street parties and fetes are a traditional part of community life; they are a simple way for us to get to know our neighbours and meet members of our community.

We define a street party as:

  • for residents/neighbours only
  • publicity only to residents
  • no licences normally necessary if music is incidental and no selling is involved
  • no formal risk assessment needed
  • self-organised by the local residents

Permissions and licenses

Typically a street party will involve closing a street. To do this, you need to complete a road closure application as soon as possible before the event is due to take place.  We will need at least 2 weeks to process these applications.

Please note, if you want to:

  • hold live performances, film screenings or dancing
  • play live or pre-recorded music for entertainment purposes
  • sell alcohol
  • hold a raffle
  • sell food and hot drinks between 11pm and 5am

you may also need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN), for which there is a small charge.

Sheffield City Council is a part of the European network for delivering information relating to doing business in the European Economic Area. For full information on the EU Services Directive and Points of Single Contact for other member states, go to the European Commission website.

Contact the Licensing Team

Ask us a question

0114 273 4264 Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm

Block C Staniforth Road Depot Sheffield S9 3HD