To give notice you need to live in Sheffield and be a British citizen. If you do not meet this criteria please contact us by phone.
Giving notice means making a declaration that you are both free to marry or enter into a civil partnership and fulfil other requirements prescribed by law. We recommend giving 6 months’ notice before your wedding date, though you are legally able to do this up to one year before the date. You need to ensure that you have given notice at least 28 days before the date.
There is a fee to give your notice of marriage:
- Monday to Friday, £35 each
- Saturday (limited availability), £50 each
This fee is payable when you book your appointment.
Proof of name, address, marital status & nationality
You will need to bring:
- a valid passport for proof of your name, age and nationality
- your driving license, a utility bill dated within the last 3 months or a bank statement dated within a month for proof of your address. These must include either your full name or at least initial
Proof that a previous marriage or civil partnership has ended
- decree absolute of divorce/dissolution
- death certificate of former husband, wife or civil partner
We must be able to link the document to you. A Decree NISI of Divorce is not acceptable. If the document is in another language, we will need a translation into English.
Change of name
If you have changed your name by deed poll or statutory declaration you will need to provide those documents.