Universal Credit (UC) is a benefit that is gradually being introduced to Sheffield.

If you need to make a new claim or if you have a change in circumstances with one of the following benefits you may be directed to claim universal credit.

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income Support

At some point in the future, many people currently on the benefits above will be moved across to Universal Credit. The Government haven’t yet given us a date for this, but the Department for Work and Pensions will get in touch with anyone affected before there are any changes to their benefits or tax credits.

Further support

If you require support when applying for or managing Universal Credit in Sheffield, you can contact the following organisations.

Citizens Advice Sheffield

Advice is available about your entitlement to UC and to help you in the early stages of your claim from the free Help to Claim service.

You can call them on 0800 144 8444 or find a local Citizens Advice drop in session.

If you already get UC and need further advice you can contact Citizens Advice Sheffield on 03444 113 111.

Universal Credit helpline

Call 0800 328 5644 for support if you are unable to claim UC online, or you need help during the process.

Job Centre Plus

Support is available to apply online, understand how UC works and how to manage your budget to pay your rent and other bills.

Find your local JobCentre Plus centre or call 0800 169 0190.

Entitled to

Use the free benefits calculator to see what you can claim and make sure you're not missing out on help.

Start a calculation to check your entitlement to benefits

Sheffield Credit Union

Sheffield Credit Union provides a number of accounts and services, including Budgeting Accounts which can help you keep on top of your bills.

Go to their website or call them 0114 276 0787.