If you need help to pay your Council Tax you may be able to claim Council Tax Support from us. You will get a discount on your bill if you’re eligible.
Who can apply
You can make a claim if:
- you are responsible for paying council tax
- you live at the property you are claiming for
Who can't apply
You will not be entitled to claim if:
- you are not responsible for paying the Council Tax bill
- either you or your partner, or both of you together, have more than £16,000 in savings (unless you get the guaranteed part of Pension Credit)
- you’re an asylum seeker, unless you've been given refugee status or indefinite or exceptional leave (also called discretionary or humanitarian leave) to remain in the United Kingdom
- you’ve been admitted to the United Kingdom on the condition that you have no recourse to public funds. This means that you must not claim benefits
Apply for Council Tax Support
Apply using the online form.
Applicants of pensionable age
We will also assess you for Second Adult Rebate. If you are eligible for both benefits, we will award you the one with the largest discount.
Check your eligibility for other benefits
Find out what benefits you are able to claim using our benefits calculator.
Council Tax Hardship Scheme
You may be eligible for the council tax hardship scheme if you are:
- already receiving council tax support
- and you are still unable to make payments
This scheme helps people who are in severe financial hardship. We will assess your eligibilty based on your individual circumstances.