Sheffield Children’s University (CU) is part of a national initiative that encourages and celebrates children and young people who take part in learning activities outside of school hours. Learning can be at either CU subscribed schools in Sheffield or at registered activity providers across the city, called Learning Destinations.
One credit is awarded for every hour of learning, adding up to awards such as certificates and badges. We hold special award ceremonies in schools and prestigious venues across the city.
Joining Sheffield Children's University
If you'd like your child to take part in the wide range of activities and awards that the Children's University offers, they'll need a passport to learning which they can get through their school or other education destinations.
CU Festival of Fun
Each year, in partnership with our Learning Destinations, we deliver a large programme of 40+ taster activities which happen right across the city at the start of the summer holidays. All the activities are free to take part in, as long as you have a Passport to Learning. Details of these events are added here in early summer.
How to earn credits
At a subscribed school
Your child can earn credits through activities held at CU subscribed schools, as long as they take place out of normal curriculum time, eg part of lunchtime or after-school clubs.
The school will send us their CU register to let us know to award your child with their credits automatically.
Check the list of subscribed schools
- Abbey Lane Primary School
- Acres Hill Community Primary School
- Angram Bank Primary School
- Arbourthorne Community Primary School
- Ballifield Primary School
- Bankwood Community Primary School
- Beck Primary School
- Becton School - The Kenwood Centre
- Beighton Nursery and Infant School
- Birley Community Primary School
- Brunswick Community Primary School
- Byron Wood Primary School
- Charnock Hall Primary School
- Chaucer School
- Concord Junior School
- Dobcroft Junior School
- Dore Primary School
- Firth Park Academy
- Fox Hill Primary School
- Gleadless Primary School
- Greenhill Primary
- Grenoside Primary School
- Halfway Infant School
- Halfway Junior School
- Hartley Brook Primary School
- Hatfield Academy
- Holgate Meadows Community School
- Hucklow Primary School
- Limpsfield Junior School
- Lydgate Infant School
- Malin Bridge Primary School
- Mansel Primary School
- Meynell Primary School
- Monteney Primary School
- Mosborough Primary School
- Norfolk Community Primary School
- Norton Free C of E Primary School
- Oasis Academy Don Valley
- Oasis Academy Watermead
- Oughtibridge Primary School
- Owler Brook Primary School
- Parson Cross CE Primary School
- Phillimore Community Primary School
- Prince Edward Primary School
- Rowan Primary School (The)
- Sacred Heart Catholic Primary School
- Sheffield Inclusion Centre
- Sheffield Park Academy
- Shooter's Grove Primary School
- Shortbrook Primary School
- Southey Green Community Primary School
- Springfield Primary School
- St Catherine’s Primary School
- St Mary's Catholic Primary School
- St Mary's CE Primary School
- St Patrick's Catholic Voluntary Academy
- St Thomas More Catholic Voluntary Academy
- Stannington Infant School
- Stocksbridge Junior School
- Stradbroke Primary School
- Tinsley Meadows Primary School
- Walkley Primary School
- Waterthorpe Nursery and Infant School
- Watercliffe Meadow Primary School
- Wharncliffe Side Community Primary School
- Whiteways Primary School
- Wincobank NI School
- Windmill Hill Primary School
- Woodthorpe Community Primary School
- Yewlands Technology College
At Learning Destinations
If your child attends a Sheffield school they can also use a Passport to Learning to collect credits at activities at validated Learning Destinations. Passports cost £3.50 each and you can buy them at Sheffield Libraries and select Learning Destinations.
You will need to make sure the Learning Destination signs the Passport and you add your child's details to the attendance register as they will send us their CU register to let us know to award your child with their credits.
Passport to Learning
Parents/carers need to sign the consent sticker in the front of your child’s Passport to Learning before they take it along to any Learning Destination.
Home educated children
We have an individual Sheffield Children’s University membership package for home educated children who live in Sheffield.
We charge an annual membership fee of £30 per academic year, reduced to £18 for siblings, to home-educated children and young people. This covers the costs of:
- administering the scheme
- tracking the data
- creating the award certificates and badges
- generating personalised learning profiles
- attendance at Gold Award ceremonies
Each home educated child will also need to purchase a Passport to Learning to collect their CU credits in.
Learning Destinations are approved activity providers who have been validated by our team to ensure their activities are excellent quality. We have also seen some of their activities happening, and they have declared that they have a number of quality and safety checks in place.
We would always recommend that parents and carers ask for evidence of these checks at all activity providers.