Change a scrap metal dealers licence

You need to apply to change your scrap metal dealers licence if you want to:

  • change a licence from a site licence to a collectors licence (or vice versa)
  • change the name of the licensee (not a transfer)
  • add or change sites on a site licence
  • change site manager

If your changes go beyond this you will need to apply for a new licence.

Who can apply to change a scrap metal dealers licence

The current licence holder can apply to make changes.


The cost to change a site or collectors licence is £80.

What you need to provide with your application

You must submit the following:

  • a completed and signed application form (and privacy statement if applying by post)
  • any documents you are required to submit with your form
  • the £80 application fee (or a payment reference number if applying by post)
  • Basic Disclosure Check (DBS check) dated within 1 month of application for the site manager(s) as appropriate

What happens once you have made an application

There is a 28 day consultation period on your application during which we will consult with the Environment Agency, South Yorkshire Police and any other relevant authority to determine your suitability.

If there are issues with or objections against your application to amend your licence, you will be notified in writing and invited to attend a licensing committee who will decide if your application is accepted or not.

If there are no issues or objections and you are suitable to carry on business as a scrap metal dealer, the licence will be issued to you as soon as reasonably practical after the 28 day consultation period.

Tacit consent will not apply

You cannot assume your licence has been granted if you haven't heard from us within 28 days. It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us you should contact us.

Apply to change your licence

You can apply online to make a change to a scrap metal dealers licence.

Apply by post

Before you send your application by post, you should pay online first and provide a reference of payment with your submitted application.

You can then download and print the application form and send it to us by post.

How to make an appeal or a complaint

If you want to appeal a decision you should contact us.

Members of the public who are experiencing problems with a scrap metal dealer should contact us for advice.

Contact the Licensing Team

0114 273 4264
Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm
Block C
Staniforth Road Depot
S9 3HD

Want to talk to someone right now?

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?